• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random questions about API

nrodda90

SWOtivated
So there is one of these for OCS but not one here. A random question I have is in regards to bringing a camera or a GoPro to training. What are the restrictions of recording training flights, landings, maneuvers, etc.? Are recording devices permissible inside the cockpit?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Define many. Does it happen? Occasionally...it's the exception, not the rule.

niner61

AimingHigh
Some questions for flight school in general, and officer-hood. These may seem like dumb questions, but it'd be dumber if I didn't ask.

Background - Single, 22, NROTC 1/C. 58 7/5/6. Mechanical Engineering. If it matters, don't plan on being married for at least another 5 years.

1 - I understand that there is potential for moving around a lot. In short - would it not be wise to buy everything I might need (tools) to say, fix my car (assume I have the expertise) or DIY projects. That would just add extra stuff that would need to be moved.

2 - I'm not exactly sure how leave in the military, or as officers work but how likely is it to be able to take off a week or two to travel (camping, mountain climbing type of stuff)? Is it frowned upon?

3 - Getting a dog, I have heard that it isn't a good idea, considering deployments. What's your opinion?

4 - Besides local/state/federal laws and restrictions, are there any military rules on owning guns/rifles? How does that play into moving around? I understand most people take their most valuables with them in their POV and lets the movers take the rest.

I guess the main theme of questions seem to be - How "normal" a life can you live as an Officer/SNA/NFO/whatever else?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Okay, none of us mind answering questions...but can we dispense with the stats to open every paragraph? I don't care how any of you did on the ASTB or what degree you have.

All of your other questions are easily answered. Life is normal, you move a lot...but once you actually get to API, the Navy will move all of your stuff for you for the rest of your career. You are only susceptible to the gun laws for the state you live in...but will move to different states so be prepared to give up a certain type of gun if you have to. You get 30 days leave per year, whether you get to use it depends on how busy you are with training/deploying.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
3 - Getting a dog, I have heard that it isn't a good idea, considering deployments. What's your opinion?

We already have a few threads on owning pets, do a search and you will find a variety of opinions but for a single person it can be quite difficult. Folks say they have done it successfully while single but there are just as many stories about 'that guy' who sticks his roommates with dog-sitting duties and sending them off to parents or friends for months or years. I waited until I was married to get a dog and I desperately wanted one, I didn't think it was fair to a dog though when I was gone half the time.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
So there is one of these for OCS but not one here. A random question I have is in regards to bringing a camera or a GoPro to training. What are the restrictions of recording training flights, landings, maneuvers, etc.? Are recording devices permissible inside the cockpit?
I can't help but notice you started a thread for random API questions and then asked a question about Primary :D
But to elaborate on the question, no GoPros in flight, so don't get one. You'll have bigger things to worry about inflight anyway. A camera might be advisable (unless you have a pretty solid cameraphone). You can't use it in flight, but you can take pictures of yourself after your first solo, etc.

WEGL12

VT-28
Have you heard of many people redesignating from NFO to SNA?

When I was in Pensacola, the only time people switched from NFO to SNA was if they were #1 in their API class. I know two people that switched this way. Your class rank is based on academics and PFA. I am sure there are other exceptions and that being top of the class doesn't always result in being switched.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
When I was in Pensacola, the only time people switched from NFO to SNA was if they were #1 in their API class. I know two people that switched this way. Your class rank is based on academics and PFA. I am sure there are other exceptions and that being top of the class doesn't always result in being switched.
Being first in your API class allows the CO to recommend/waiver an SNFO to SNA transition. We had multiple SNFO's that were trying to be number one in the class and took all the pressure...needless to say they were at the bottom. API is not how smart you are or how hard you work, rather its attention to detail and not getting tripped up on the stupid shit they ask to purposely trip you up.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
We had multiple SNFO's that were trying to be number one in the class and took all the pressure...needless to say they were at the bottom.
Hahahaha...needless huh? Surely you don't mean it the way it comes across...sick burn rookie.

nrodda90

SWOtivated
I can't help but notice you started a thread for random API questions and then asked a question about Primary :D
But to elaborate on the question, no GoPros in flight, so don't get one. You'll have bigger things to worry about inflight anyway. A camera might be advisable (unless you have a pretty solid cameraphone). You can't use it in flight, but you can take pictures of yourself after your first solo, etc.
Dang...my bad, guess the title fits the thread then "stupid questions"....thank you for the input and information...how much of API is actually flying if any?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Dang...my bad, guess the title fits the thread then "stupid questions"....thank you for the input and information...how much of API is actually flying if any?
None. Well, except for IFS, I guess, but that's before API. It's basically about 14 flights with an FBO at a regional airport in something like a Cessna 152/172 or a Piper Arrow or something similar. If you have a private pilot's license, you skip IFS, so I didn't have to go and I don't know what their policies are on recording devices, but the point stands that you'll probably have your hands full with learning to fly. Actually, it looks like you have a PPL too, so you won't do any flying until Primary.

WEGL12

VT-28
Being first in your API class allows the CO to recommend/waiver an SNFO to SNA transition. We had multiple SNFO's that were trying to be number one in the class and took all the pressure...needless to say they were at the bottom. API is not how smart you are or how hard you work, rather its attention to detail and not getting tripped up on the stupid shit they ask to purposely trip you up.

Yup I knew one of NFOs trying to be #1 in your class. He ended up struggling because he over thought the questions on the test since he was worried about getting a 100. I agree that API is attention to detail and knowing how to pick the best answer (other choices may still be correct but just not covered). For the original question, just do your best and if you're #1 then go from there.