• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pistol qualification at OCS?

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
You've never been an Ensign in the Navy either, but in only 90 days, you'll earn that.... soooo, just follow instructions, and if you don't shoot yourself, your Instructor, or a fellow 'Wonder' in the foot:eek: ... in just a few hours you'll double your ribbon rack!:)
BzB
if this guy can somehow not blow his head off anyone with a brain can qual

Bradicus

Ensign, SNA
You've never been an Ensign in the Navy either, but in only 90 days, you'll earn that.... soooo, just follow instructions, and if you don't shoot yourself, your Instructor, or a fellow 'Wonder' in the foot:eek: ... in just a few hours you'll double your ribbon rack!:)
BzB

You kinda make it sound like an infomercial.

"For only 3 easy payments of $9.99, you too can have your very own pair of butter bars. Call now, and we'll double your order!"

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Personally, I think trying to qualify during any commissioning program is a good thing, but alas, money is always an issue.

That said, let's not kid ourselves about what it means to "qualify." Pre-deployment pistol quals only requires someone to shoot the requisite number of rounds through the barrel. Even if you don't earn Marksmanship, you still get the SORTS/DRS-N sign off.

jmcquate

Contributor
Sounds like the Navy needs it's own version of TBS :cool:............every sailor a rifleman.

LET73

How likely is it that someone like me -- who has never touched a gun in his life -- will be able to earn the ribbon?
You will most likely earn the ribbon. The handgun course of fire really isn't that hard, and to qualify you only need a score of 180 out of 240. The stressful environment and lack of sleep will be a variable though. The biggest problem I see is when people get nervous and start shaking uncontrollably. That's why I always like to run a relaxed range where people feel comfortable and not scared. OCS probably isn't like that though. I have seen many new shooters go right up and score expert on their first try, and many experienced guys who can never shoot expert. Some people are naturals and others aren't.
Anything at OCS that isn't run by the DIs is pretty laid back. They aren't going to be screaming at you. Although, side note, part of my pistol qual before deploying to Afghanistan involved a stress test--basically, getting your heart rate up and seeing if you could still hit the target--so at one point I was running in place with an Army drill sergeant screaming instructions at me. Not hard, but I'd already done my normal Navy pistol qual. I'd imagine that the guys running the range in Newport would want to make sure the OCs are relaxed; the last thing anyone wants is some nervous, twitchy officer candidate doing something unsafe.

WEGL12

VT-28
Along the lines of getting pistol qualed, when does that occur if you don't get qualed before commissioning? Just curious and I have heard several different answers as to when it occurs.

44magnum

Anything at OCS that isn't run by the DIs is pretty laid back. They aren't going to be screaming at you. Although, side note, part of my pistol qual before deploying to Afghanistan involved a stress test--basically, getting your heart rate up and seeing if you could still hit the target--so at one point I was running in place with an Army drill sergeant screaming instructions at me. Not hard, but I'd already done my normal Navy pistol qual. I'd imagine that the guys running the range in Newport would want to make sure the OCs are relaxed; the last thing anyone wants is some nervous, twitchy officer candidate doing something unsafe.
That's good to hear. When I went through in boot camp it was not relaxed at all and I was definitely nervous to shoot. I've been to the Buttercup twice though and those guys seemed pretty laid back compared to the power-tripping instructors at Great Lakes. They said the OCs were wierd.

Stress-tests are fun for those who know what they're doing. Dangerous for those who don't. Good training to have though.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Along the lines of getting pistol qualed, when does that occur if you don't get qualed before commissioning? Just curious and I have heard several different answers as to when it occurs.

It doesn't matter if you've qual'ed at OCS/pre-commissioning or not. You'll have to requalify before every deployment. So to answer your question, every 12-18 months while on sea duty.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Range procedures are fairly detailed and strict to maintain safety. You'll probably get someone giving you commands over a microphone and the only time someone will yell is if you don't follow simple directions with a loaded firearm.

azguy

None
It doesn't matter if you've qual'ed at OCS/pre-commissioning or not. You'll have to requalify before every deployment. So to answer your question, every 12-18 months while on sea duty.

Of course, but it's good to get people a little exposure to this stuff before they have to do the real quals. How much could the Navy really be paying for 50 rds these days anyway?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Of course, but it's good to get people a little exposure to this stuff before they have to do the real quals.

Like I said, I actually agree.

How much could the Navy really be paying for 50 rds these days anyway?

It's not just the ammo, it's the weapons, the ability maintain the weapons, the range time, the training needed for the RSOs, etc. Apparently they have the infrastructure there now (since they're apparently qual'ing), but all of that requires manning and money.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
That said, let's not kid ourselves about what it means to "qualify." Pre-deployment pistol quals only requires someone to shoot the requisite number of rounds through the barrel. Even if you don't earn Marksmanship, you still get the SORTS/DRS-N sign off.

Another JO and myself basically qual'd, somehow in spite of having more hits on a neighbor's target than our own. First OEF flight we were on together, we agreed before walking that if we both went down, we would ditch the guns so as to not kill each other.....

#didn'tgrowupinthecountry......