• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College performance in the fleet

LetsFly

Hey all,

I'm an aero engineering student at USNA and I was wondering if my GPA upon graduation will have any effect on me in the fleet. Is it looked at (and to what degree) to get into programs like TPS/Fighter Weapons School? If they look at my transcript, do they only look at my major specific courses or core courses as well?

Thank you!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
:)
I'm an aero engineering student at USNA and I was wondering if my GPA upon graduation will have any effect on me in the fleet. Is it looked at (and to what degree) to get into programs like TPS/Fighter Weapons School?
I doubt that your BSAE from the USNA will be much of a consideration in your first fleet tour. It is to your credit that you will have graduated with a BS in a tough program/major. This could also lead to interesting jobs, such as a DivO in maintenance (AV/Weps, A/F, P/P, Line, etc.).;)

As you state, your BSAE is practically a must for selection for TPS (higher the GPA, the better), along with high performance/airmanship during your initial sea tour. The degree will be of some benefit for FWS, but here again, first tour squadron performance/airmanship (including weapons delivery skills), will be major factors in earning a FWS billet.:)
BzB

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your degree won't matter for you JO job assignments in your squadron. I was a history/econ major and I was AVARM divo and well before that the AT branch-o. For things like TPS it will absolutely make a difference as they want engineering majors with good GPAs. Where your GPA will matter is your lineal number, as it will have the long term effect on when you get O-4 pinned on provided you get selected.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
If you want to be an ROTC instructor (which, according to legend, means having an awesome tour but putting a reduction on your O-4 and ADHSB chances), you have to have a GPA that starts w/ a 3 to be eligible. There may be other non-flying tours w/ similar requirements.

ssnspoon

Get a brace!
pilot
As others have said, it very much matters for TPS. I had the distinction of having one of the lowest GPA's of any Aero (astro) grad from my class to still get a pilot slot (the one guy lower slid through at toe last minute with some uhhh, political help). I did not get TPS in two tries (you need to apply early and often as they may not select your platform in any given selection). GPA seems to not be directly correlated to aviator ability though.

My advice: Don't worry about it, just do your best and even if that is worse than everyone else, it is still your best and you have no complaints (assuming it REALLY is your best). One down side of a lower GPA is the larger Lineal number. I can attest that is SUCKS watching poorer performing people pin on O-4, some even having no EP in first fleet tour, well before you when you have 5 EP's in a row! Timing, its a bitch!

TexasTools

None
I've never heard of the lineal number before. After a quick Google search I gathered that it was the Officer Precedence Number.
As I understood it, that's basically the number that determines exactly who "outranks" who throughout the entire Navy, correct? Obviously grade and date of rank are the main deciding factors, but what breaks it down further?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your lineal number determines your precedence. It becomes an issue after promotion boards. When a promotion board posts results they don't just promote everyone in one fell swoop. The percentages have changed a ton over the years and I'm too lazy to look up the current numbers now, but basically every month they promote a certain number of those chosen by the selection board. That is determined by your lineal number. If you are more "senior" you're going to get promoted faster than someone else, which means more money sooner and the opportunity to promote for the next rank sooner. Moral of the story, it literally pays to do well in college if you're USNA/ROTC since when you're a JO your lineal number (since ENS/LTJG fit reps are all Ps) are determined by your standing in your commissioning source. That standing has a lot to do with your college GPA.

TexasTools

None
... Moral of the story, it literally pays to do well in college if you're USNA/ROTC since when you're a JO your lineal number (since ENS/LTJG fit reps are all Ps) are determined by your standing in your commissioning source. That standing has a lot to do with your college GPA.

So a poor GPA will only affect when you get promoted, not if you get promoted?
If so, that's a bit relieving, as the gouge I got all throughout ROTC was "Your GPA has no effect on your career after you commission." It sounds like that's actually wrong, or can at least be phrased better.

Sonog

pilot
I'm assuming college GPA has no effect on those who commissioned through OCS, correct?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So a poor GPA will only affect when you get promoted, not if you get promoted?
If so, that's a bit relieving, as the gouge I got all throughout ROTC was "Your GPA has no effect on your career after you commission." It sounds like that's actually wrong, or can at least be phrased better.

Depending on what kind of ship you go to, it can also affect what room you get and/or who you live with. Honestly, until you're up for O-4, choice of stateroom is probably the most important result of your lineal number.

I'm assuming college GPA has no effect on those who commissioned through OCS, correct?

I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. There's much more to your lineal number and they even drill down to birthmonth if they need to.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Honestly, until you're up for O-4, choice of stateroom is probably the most important result of your lineal number.

I disagree. A lineal number's largest career ramification early on is deciding the JORG upon check in. I've seen it dig as deep as the in-port log for time of check in.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I disagree. A lineal number's largest career ramification early on is deciding the JORG upon check in. I've seen it dig as deep as the in-port log for time of check in.

You people and your silly games. You're just proving my point!

I'd always laugh when sitting at the wardroom table with several other pilots and we're all the same rank. The poor Enisgns and young Jaygees didn't know what to do. Even more comical when it's a bunch of O4s and an O5 who is senior to the ship's CO but ship's CO is also at the table. "Do I ask the pilot O5 or the ship's CO?" <mindblown>