• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yuma QOL

highside7r

None
Gents,
Looking at PCS options for near NYL, actually up the road at YPG (Army dude). Married with no kids, the wife is from PHX and has always heard bad things about Yuma. Basic QOL and best places to rent.
Thanks

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
Disclaimer-I've never actually lived in Yuma, but my parents do and I've visited many times. I won't say anything about where to live or rent/buy options because I have no real knowledge about that aspect. Yuma is a small desert town that caters to two groups, old people and military. The population doubles in the winter when all the snowbirds come in from the north and then similarly gets cut in half in the summer when they all leave. It's typical desert, very hot in the summer but can get pretty cold in the winter. I believe it is officially the driest and sunniest populated area in the US. Not a whole lot to offer families as far as recreation unless you enjoy scorpion hunting, desert 4 wheeling and hiking through the scrub brush. YPG is a short drive north out of town, not sure where those folks live, but the base itself is small (amenity wise, lots of land surrounding for testing) and in the middle of nowhere. But, Phoenix and San Diego are a short 3 hours away.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
You will probably want to live in the foothills East of town. That's a nicer area than most of actual Yuma, and most people based in Yuma lived out there. It is in the direction of YPG so it would make even more sense for you. In the summer it's hotter than hell but it's very nice in the winter and lots of snowbirds show up. I would disagree about the above poster saying it can get pretty cold because in three years I was there I don't think it approached freezing and more than a light jacket is unnecessary. I played golf there on Jan 1st this year and could have worn shorts.

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
I would disagree about the above poster saying it can get pretty cold because in three years I was there I don't think it approached freezing and more than a light jacket is unnecessary. I played golf there on Jan 1st this year and could have worn shorts.
I'm not saying it always gets cold, but it can, and does. My parents had frost last week, and have had numerous evenings near freezing. I agree that colder temps are certainly an anomaly.

Ralph

Had no idea the Army had helos at YPG. Yuma is okay. Really nice in the winter and really hot in the summer. If you like the dunes or the river you'll be fine.

highside7r

None
Had no idea the Army had helos at YPG. Yuma is okay. Really nice in the winter and really hot in the summer. If you like the dunes or the river you'll be fine.

Thanks, we have run the HALO school up there, it's a fixed-wing assignment and the main kicker it's a non-deployable spot. I've heard it's "Iraq hot" in the summer,