• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your HDTV thoughts....

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Just about finished with the media room - building some bookcases and a cabinet for the DVD's / Blu-Rays. My last Vizio lasted 13 years but recently went "Laugh In" psychedelic - the new Vizio just arrived, a 65" "V" series. Watched a couple of movies already (Dark City and The Hunt for Red October) Happy with the picture, especially for something on the lower end of the price spectrum (on sale right now at Best Buy for only $469). Sound quality from the TV was not too good, but will hook up a 7.2 surround sound receiver. Question: for anyone who has Blu-Rays, is it worth getting a 4K player to upscale the 1080P Blu-Rays?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anyone even still use Blu-Rays? I haven't used my player in 5-6 years. It's all streaming these days. I wouldn't waste your money.

Pags

Pope of Chili Town
pilot
Does anyone even still use Blu-Rays? I haven't used my player in 5-6 years. It's all streaming these days. I wouldn't waste your money.
My thoughts exactly unless you're heavily invested in BR. I still have my discs and player but they just take up space and they don't bring me joy. If they disappeared I doubt I'd notice.

Swanee

Self aware since 2014
pilot
Contributor
There are some concerts that I have from Joe Bonamassa that are mixed in surround and have full HD cameras filming that are only available on blu-ray.

Everything else I stream. Which sucks, because my wife and I accumulated a metric shit ton of DVDs (and a few blu-rays) back before streaming was really a thing.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are some concerts that I have from Joe Bonamassa that are mixed in surround and have full HD cameras filming that are only available on blu-ray.

Everything else I stream. Which sucks, because my wife and I accumulated a metric shit ton of DVDs (and a few blu-rays) back before streaming was really a thing.
Can't you just rip the BR and serve it from your PC (or equivalent)?

Swanee

Self aware since 2014
pilot
Contributor
Can't you just rip the BR and serve it from your PC (or equivalent)?
I suppose I can. It would be huge though. But, I've got 2 1TB SSDs and a 1TB HDD, and I have been wanting to do the Raspberry Pi media server thing.

Pags

Pope of Chili Town
pilot
My last two jobs had either no internet or barely enough to send an email so I built up a rather large collection.
I GUESS that's a valid excuse for being a Luddite. But maybe you're just ahead of all the cool kids when BR get hip in an ironic way in a few years.

SynixMan

Y’all got any of them jobs?
pilot
Contributor
I suppose I can. It would be huge though. But, I've got 2 1TB SSDs and a 1TB HDD, and I have been wanting to do the Raspberry Pi media server thing.
I posted earlier, but I did a 2 drive NAS with 2x6TB drives for ~$500 to serve up plex. Works great for most MKV files, including 4K HDR stuff. Even a high bitrate Blu-ray rip is 20GB.

The key is making sure the client can natively decode the material.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
I used to run a Plex server on my computer with external hard drives. I decided though I wanted to get rid of my desk and have more mobility with my laptop so I opted for a synology NAS. The DS918+ to be specific. I've been really happy with it so far. It runs Plex. There are all sorts of other services I could run on it too. Everything from a VPN server to an Amazon Glacier Backup.

And then I use a chromecast to get the video to my TV.

The NAS has a fast enough processor to allow real-time video transcoding so I don't have to worry about correct video formats.