• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your HDTV thoughts....

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No Military History Channel, no go. Where else am I going to watch the Nazis lose over and over again?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
So while we're talking TVs; I recently came in to some nice Technics stereo speakers (in laws are cleaning house). Because the sound on my tv sucks I'd like to set them up to use with my tv. Does anyone have a recommendation for a receiver that isn't overkill (Dolby 17.9 blah blah blah)?
If you don't need features like blue tooth/wireless hookups, anything on the new market is likely to be overkill for what you need. A decent entry-level receiver purchased new is going to run you $400-500 before tax.

This is just like TVs - you can't buy an HDTV from 2009-2012 for cheap; you have to get the new model with all sorts of new bells and whistles that continue to keep the cost constant.

Note: Somewhat surprisingly, you can find some older models on Amazon.com. I have a Denon receiver that is about 10 years old and it has been great, but is now discontinued. I don't know whether the reviews on this model are any good (not the one I own), but it looks like something that suits your needs.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Don't know if anyone saw this or not, but there is a new subscription cable service called Philo that started today. 37 channels for $16 per month (or, you can also watch on your phone or ipad.) You will go without ESPN, other sports channels and local channels, but you can get an over the air antenna for the local stuff. https://try.philo.com/

The 37 channel package includes AMC, Animal Planet, AXS TV, BBC America, BBC World News, BET, Cheddar, CMT, Comedy Central, Discovery, DIY Network, Food Network, FYI, GSN, HGTV, History, ID, Lifetime, Lifetime Movies, MTV, MTV 2, Nick, Nick Jr. , OWN, Science, Spike, SundanceTV, Teen Nick, TLC, Travel, TV Land, Velocity, VH1, Viceland and WE tv.

Viacom, Discovery, A+E, Scripps and AMC Team Up for Sports-Free Streaming Skinny Bundle

http://www.adweek.com/tv-video/viacom-discovery-ae-scripps-and-amc-team-up-for-sports-free-streaming-skinny-bundle/

As an update, we ditched the cable, got a ROKU and went with the streaming service Philo - quite pleased and are not going back. Philo offers either 37 channels for $16 or 46 channels for $20. If anyone is looking to cut the cord and doesn't mind losing cable news and sports channels, you might want to give it a shot. (You can still get a lot of football with an over the air antenna - and baseball is better on the radio anyway...)
https://try.philo.com/

Also, Netflix recently dropped the Agatha Christie series Poirot. Looked around and found it on a couple of streams that specialize in British television: Acorn TV and BritBox - both have a huge selection of shows for $5 and $7 per month.
https://signup.acorn.tv/
https://www.britbox.com/

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I really can't understand paying for TV unless you want to watch live sports. Everything else can be obtained for free.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I really can't understand paying for TV unless you want to watch live sports. Everything else can be obtained for free.
Sure, if you're comfortable with the potential ethical and legal exposure. Kind of an important caveat.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Recently purchased a Clearstream roof mounted over the air antenna that feeds through the old DirectTV cable system. Also picked up a MediaSonic digital converter that allows the coaxial cable to be switched over to HDMI and thus feed directly into the receiver. The MediaSonic also comes with a USB port to record over the air shows. Works good so far.

Griz882

Livin' On the Right Side of the River From Pags!
pilot
I tried cutting the cord, but after six months I realized I was paying almost the same to acquire the same services just in smaller bites to different streamers. In any case, the internet connection is always where the real money goes. I am impressed by people who say they do it and say they have slashed costs.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I tried cutting the cord, but after six months I realized I was paying almost the same to acquire the same services just in smaller bites to different streamers. In any case, the internet connection is always where the real money goes. I am impressed by people who say they do it and say they have slashed costs.
The real cost buster is perpetually renting HDTV boxes. They're $15-20/mo each and then taxes and fees on top of that. Load of bullshit that you can't buy your own like you can buy modems.

Put a TV in the family room and 3 bedrooms and there's easily $100/mo after all the taxes and fees just going to equipment rental.

I still am holding out on one TV in a family of 5, but lots of homes have that kind of setup.