• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"You have a duty to be armed"

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds like we need more DAs like that. :p

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
the second half of that quote is "... but I don't control the CO, so you still can't bring your firearms aboard."

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
That's a bit hyperbolic, don't you think?

Brett

Maybe a little, but I didn't sign up to lead campfire kumbaya sing-alongs. I signed up to defend the country, preferably by killing people. That's made a lot tougher to do without a weapon.

Reminds me of when we were in the desert doing "expeditionary" ops and the base CO gave a great speech about how we were on the tip of the spear and the bubble could go up at any time and we would be the first line of defense. One of the TACCO's asked "Then why is all our ordnance 2 hours away, in another country?" and one of the AWs asked "And why does every Army guy on this base walk around in full battle rattle, with an M-16 but we don't even have any M9's to take on flights?"

KBayDog

Good question. I'll buy the statement in a deployed context, but not in CONUS.

Brett

I'll buy the statement CONUS, as well.

Why? Well, Fort Dix, Fort Hood and Fort Leonard Wood come to mind as recent examples. (Funny...the Leonard Wood incident just two weeks ago didn't seem to get too much play nationally.)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So was the statement directed solely at military or was the "you" collectively including civilians as well? Either way, I would argue that, while we all have the right to keep and bear arms, those who go about their daily business armed owe it to the rest of the public to be properly trained first. I was only half tongue-in-cheek earlier; more gun-friendly civil servants are always a good idea IMHO.

But saying that everyone has a duty to be armed is dangerous; there are too many knuckleheads out there, both in the military and in the general public, who shouldn't be within eight feet of a loaded firearm. Do I believe that an armed populace is a good thing? Yes. Do I wholeheartedly support CCW? Yes. Do I think that everyone should carry? Hell no.