• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

You aero engineer types might dig this

MasterBates

Thats neat.

I'm trying to find a YouTube video from when I worked for Pratt & Whitney. It was a 112" Hi-Bypass PW4098 motor that did a blade out test. Intentionally blew a bypass blade (via explosive charge) at MRT..

I think it was at 106,000 # when they blew it.. and the shroud contained it. Most impressive. I did enjoy working with the "chicken cannon" there. That was always fun.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's the GE-90 or 115 testing:

Here's the PW testing:

FlybyWired06

Interesting videos, but as far as wing loading goes I don't know how realistic that test was...last time I checked, turbulence forces are rapid and violent, NOT a slowly increased load...so, it was cool to see the wing explode, but a wing fatigue test would be a better measure of survivability with rapidly applied forces on and off for a long period of time...though, I'm just a propulsion guy...

UMichfly

pilot
None
That was one of a myriad of structural tests that they'd do. The video only showed the ultimate load test but if you really want to see all of the required tests for airworthiness, go read FAR part 23 and/or part 25. You'll want to stab yourself to escape the boredom but there are definitely sections on turbulent/gust loading configurations.

STLEngineer

pilot
That was one of a myriad of structural tests that they'd do. The video only showed the ultimate load test but if you really want to see all of the required tests for airworthiness, go read FAR part 23 and/or part 25. You'll want to stab yourself to escape the boredom but there are definitely sections on turbulent/gust loading configurations.

Agreed, there are multiple tests done on multiple airframes. The fatigue tests take weeks and months to perform. Believe me, you don't want to be one of the guys reducing all the data from a fatigue test.

The best part about these shows is the anticipation. I remember seeing an F-15 vertical/horizontal stab test when I worked w/ Boeing prior to the Navy. The explosions and sparks were awesome.