• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yet another quesiton...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
I am back at my house (from school on winter break). I am going to go to my previous jobs to get employment info for my app. for comm., epsq, and LORs. I emailed my recruiter about it, but have not heard back yet. Does anyone know what type of things go on the forms (a different recruiter briefly showed me it, but at a distance since it was filled out by someone turning theirs in... hence confidential). I know it had a field for ratings (like from excelent to poor i imagine). Basicly I am looking to go to them and tell them what I am doing, and what they should expect in the mail. Also review with them the ratings they will giv eme so that I can discuss it with them ot make sure it will reflect me accurately.

Any info on what they will be asked, or what types of things they should put on my LOR (the people I asked to write LORs, asked what they shoudl write about) would be appreciated. Thanks...

Kycntryboy

pilot
RHPF said:
(he briefly showed me it, but at a distance since it was filled out by someone turning theirs in... hence confidential). I know it had a field for ratings (like from excelent to poor i imagine)....Also review with them the ratings they will giv eme so that I can discuss it with them ot make sure it will reflect me accurately.

Any info on what they will be asked, or what types of things they should put on my LOR (the people I asked to write LORs, asked what they shoudl write about) would be appreciated. Thanks...

I think your a little confused from what I'm reading from up above the ratings go with an interview with someone that is in the military as to how they think you will be as a officer. Your LOR's don't fill out a questionaire about you they just give you a letter of recommendation and thats it. Things that should be in the LOR should be characteristics that those people know about that seperate you from other people. Leadership, honest, "go to guy", basically crap like that. Any more questions?

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
For my application for commission I was asked to provide employer name, supervisor name, mailing address, phone/fax number, and start and end working dates for all employers for the last three years. Those that I listed were contacted by my recruiter and asked to fill out a form DD370 which I think is the form you mentioned with some checkboxes and a space for a personal narrative. Run a search, its available online. If possible you'd really like to get all outstandings and definitely no unsatisfactories in the areas they ask about. The personal narrative should be like KYcntryboy said a recommendation that talks about your good qualities, an emphasize on some of the ones asked about on the form might be a good idea.

In addition to your employer references you can submit letters of recommendation from people who know you well. There's no form for this that I know of. I did, however, give out the form DD370 to give my letter writers an idea of what they navy is looking to know.

Last, the EPSQ. You're going to need the same info as above except going back 5-7 years. See this thread for my thoughts on that.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8790

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
RHPF, I think you are mixing a few things up here. You are talking about LORs (Letters of Reccommendation) like they are job reference forms. Here's how it works in case you need to know.

LORs are from individuals that have the credentials to, and are willing to mail in a formal letter attesting to your character. They usually comment about your drive, positive work ethic, level of responsibility, patriotism etc etc. Unless you REALLY know the individual, IMO it would be fairly unprofessional to go tell them what to write on you LOR.

Job reference forms are forms sent out BY YOUR RECRUITER after all your preliminary documents are in (app for comm, EPSQ, LORs, signed academic plan). The forms are sent out to all of your previous employers. They come with a preaddressed postage paid envelope, full instructions, and have several questions about you (the applicant). Although I have never seen the form, I believe it has questions about your character, possible drug use and other problematic behavior questions. You, the applicant, don't participate in the job reference form process at all. My officer processor told me he was sending them out. I gave my previous employers all a call letting them know that they were on the way, and I would be appreciative if they could fill them out (just a courtesy call).

I felt the easiest way to get my EPSQ, academic plan, and app for comm done, is by using the telephone (and fax machine if you have one). Had I driven everywhere to get all the information I needed to complete these three items, I would have probably added 47,000 extra miles on my car.

Hope this helps... Good luck and feel free to IM me if you have questions about anything.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
heynowlookout said:
In addition to your employer references you can submit letters of recommendation from people who know you well. There's no form for this that I know of. I did, however, give out the form DD370 to give my letter writers an idea of what they navy is looking to know.
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8790

It must be noted that your LORs cannot be submitted from you, they have to be mailed from the people that write them. There is no form you have to fill out for LORs, but you note them on the proffessional reccommendation part of the app for comm.

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
Godspeed said:
It must be noted that your LORs cannot be submitted from you, they have to be mailed from the people that write them. There is no form you have to fill out for LORs, but you note them on the proffessional reccommendation part of the app for comm.

He's right on all counts. I only saw the employer reference form because one of mine is still a friend and he showed it me and we discussed what I'd like him to write.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Awesome... as always thanks for the help. I was confused... but now I am not. I still havent met my actual recruiter. I went in (couple weeks back) and he was sick and then out of town, and now I am back home until the end of the year. So thanks for clearing it all up for me...

*As for the job comments form, that was the form I was thinking of. I went by my old job tonight and everyone that worked with or above me has been fired. So this should be interesting to see what they will do for comments.

ducam23

Supply Corps - BDCP 2007
Actually LORs don't have to mailed by the person writing them. I got my LORs and got to read them (I actually correct some of them) and then handed them off to my processor. So it went from the person writing the LOR to me to my processor. Even with the employer form I handed it to my employer who gave it back to me and then I sent it to my processor.

I didn't think I could do that but supprisingly they are pretty lenient about it all, it's not as hardcore as college LORs which have to be signed and sealed and mail straight to a college and never be seen by the student.

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
Apparently different recruiters have different ways of doing things, no shock there. Do what yours tells you to.

pineapplehead

BDCP Crypto, OCS - July 9, 2005
My recruiter sent out forms for the people to fill out - they had a place for the recommender to rate my skills such as leadership, work ethic, etc, and then a space to say why (or why not) they would recommmend me. One of my recommenders wrote an additional 3 pages (he let me see it after he turned it in). Different recruiters handle LOR's differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.