• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yeager breaks the barrier one last time

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeager, 79, split the air with a sonic boom as he opened an air show that drew thousands of fans to the desert base. Yeager took an F-15 Eagle to just over 30,000 feet on his last supersonic flight, capping a 60-year career.

The rest of the story at: http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/West/10/26/yeager.sound.ap/index.html

tali264

I like his quote at the end, I might have to save that one [^]

"If you can't do anything about the outcome of something, forget it," he said. "Instead you better concentrate on staying alive where you are."

Hudson

Something about not having a college degree I think. It almost prevented him from becoming a test pilot. I think that is what I remember from his autobiography. I read it back in high school

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
If you watch the movie "The Right Stuff," they don't select him for the space program because of his lack of a college degree. Something about him not being "good enough" without secondary education. Can you imagine? I'm almost glad he didn't go though. I can't imagine if we had lost him in some kind of accident! You know he would have "pushed the envelope" and as fragile as our space program was back then, something would have broke!

jet_ifr

It's more complicated than him not having a degree, also he reasoned that if the first american into space was a monkey, what was the point? Read Tom Wolfe's "The Right Stuff," for the full explanation.

I fly. Me pilot?

Status
Not open for further replies.