• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WWII Wings?

Brydown1

FY-07 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
I have some questions regarding antique military pilot wings.

1) Is there anything that states that you could not wear WWII (antique) pilot wings on your uniform. For example if your grandfather was an aviator in WWII and wanted to pass his wings onto you would that be allowed?

2) If a person were to buy antique WWII Pilot Wings and restore them so that one could wear them if allowed. Would people few that as offensive to the past?

The reason I ask this is that I recently went to the Pacific Aviation Museum on Ford Island, HI. The message that really stuck in my head was "Least we forget". In my view I would look at someone wearing those antique wings as a way for a modern day pilot to remember those who protected our country so long ago. I would just like some other input on my thoughts.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

1) Is there anything that states that you could not wear WWII (antique) pilot wings on your uniform. For example if your grandfather was an aviator in WWII and wanted to pass his wings onto you would that be allowed?

2) If a person were to buy antique WWII Pilot Wings and restore them so that one could wear them if allowed. Would people few that as offensive to the past?

The reason I ask this is that I recently went to the Pacific Aviation Museum on Ford Island, HI. The message that really stuck in my head was "Least we forget". In my view I would look at someone wearing those antique wings as a way for a modern day pilot to remember those who protected our country so long ago. I would just like some other input on my thoughts.

I think heritage is important, but even after you get your wings, you're still in a learning mode and although arrival at the FRS and your first squadron isn't like OCS (or equivalent), you are at best a "nugget" and you really don't want to call attention to yourself, just learn and perform. Better to get a sense of your community and squadron before you start sporting something like antique wings.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... Better to get a sense of your community and squadron before you start sporting something like antique wings.

AGREED ..... AND get a sense of "yourself" ... i.e., how are you viewed in your own eyes and those of your peers based on your performance and reputation -- even if you're "new" you can still be a player and have a good reputation .... and THEN strap on those antique Wings of Gold ASAP.

I did ... but I'd only do it with a "real" pair that had provenance within my own family .... i.e., mine came from one of my Uncle's from WW2 .... and I was never sorry I wore them ...

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I think it'd be great, if they were worn by someone in your family or a close family friend. Absolutely you should remember the past and I think it's a fine way to honor those who answered the call in the past. A pair bought at auction or some antique store would not be the same.

I'd, of course, only wear them for special events and I'd make sure my uniform was absolutely perfect before putting them on - but that's my own analness in that arena. A set of wings from a vet deserve the same respect you'd give that vet.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Personally, I keep my Grandfather's wings in a framed case on my wall along with his ribbons and some photos. I considered getting the wings cleaned but a forum member suggested leaving them the way they are to show character. I took his advice and am pretty happy I did so.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Bry...I inherited my Grandad's wings back in '02. He was winged shortly after VJ day, (Sept of '45) because he started off as a cruiser SWO. I started wearing them right away. They aren't really golden color...more of a burnished pewter.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

As long as they conform to current uniform standards no one is going to say anything to you (maybe some compliments). I know several guys who got winged with their father's/grandfather's/uncle's/brother's wings at thier winging. After that they kept them in a safe place and only wore them on special occasions (promotions, RAG graduations, COC's, etc....). If you have an opportunity to wear a real vintage pair of wings, go ahead and wear them with pride (if you have earned them for real, dont' be a Skeeter.....;) )!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
As long as they conform to current uniform standards no one is going to say anything to you (maybe some compliments). I know several guys who got winged with their father's/grandfather's/uncle's/brother's wings at thier winging. After that they kept them in a safe place and only wore them on special occasions (promotions, RAG graduations, COC's, etc....). If you have an opportunity to wear a real vintage pair of wings, go ahead and wear them with pride (if you have earned them for real, dont' be a Skeeter.....;) )!

If and when I get that opportunity, I plan on doing the same w/ my father's wings. I think it is a cool gesture on both ends.

phrogpilot73

While it isn't a set of wings...

My father's roommate from the Naval Academy gave me his father's Eagle, Globe and Anchor from his cover. His father had fought in the Pacific during WWII (including Iwo Jima), and he gave it to me because his son was comissioned as an Army officer (he was '98 from USMA, I was '98 from USNA). I NEVER thought about wearing it, and have given that EGA the proper place of reverence, in a shadow box on my wall...

airfrogusmc

Get a little salty and some real stick time in and you could probably wear them but I agree a place of honor in your home would be most appropriate in my opinion.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Embroidered Wings

Anyone know the real deal on embroidered wings? I have seen them when the person is wearing their SDB's. They look a little funky, especially when worn with modern day ribbons/medals.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone know the real deal on embroidered wings? I have seen them when the person is wearing their SDB's. They look a little funky, especially when worn with modern day ribbons/medals.
I believe they're authorized in the uniform regs, as long as the background matches that of the shirt/coat they're on. Other than Aviation Greens or SDBs, I think it'd look a little weird though . . .

Brydown1

FY-07 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
Thank you all for the great feed back. My family has great history in every major war since WWII; however, as far as I have been told they were all enlisted. I am the first to be a prospective officer so I do not have any relatives to recieve my wings from. I was not sure if I would wear them to begin with, but now I believe the best thing is to add it to my collection or maybe shadow box. Maybe I will get a chance to pass down my wings to my son.