• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WWII Airplane Factories

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I'm pretty sure that most of the women in those pictures weren't previously trained as welders or aircraft mechanics. My worry is not if we have the technical savvy to make lots of war machines, but if our populace has the guts to support it.:(

No they were not, but they did have the advantage of having a pool of trained people to learn from. They also had an advantage in numbers, that allowed complex tasks to be broken up into simple repeatable tasks.

We also used to be able to draft a man off the street and turn him into a competent soldier in about 4 months. I doubt that it would be possible in anything less than a year now. When Korea started in 1950 we traded lives for time. Look up Task Force Randall sometime and you can see what I mean. Then it was just a matter of recalling WWII vets and breaking equipment out of storage and shipping it over. Now we don't have that pool of trained manpower, nor the equipment. Think about how long it would take to pull a carrier out of storage, gather a ship's company and form and equip an airwing.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think WWII's Rosie the Riveter (and her peacetime male counterpart) have long been replaced by Robie the Robot.

img0044ic7.jpg
robotweldinggv0.jpg

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
No they were not, but they did have the advantage of having a pool of trained people to learn from. They also had an advantage in numbers, that allowed complex tasks to be broken up into simple repeatable tasks.

We also used to be able to draft a man off the street and turn him into a competent soldier in about 4 months. I doubt that it would be possible in anything less than a year now. When Korea started in 1950 we traded lives for time. Look up Task Force Randall sometime and you can see what I mean. Then it was just a matter of recalling WWII vets and breaking equipment out of storage and shipping it over. Now we don't have that pool of trained manpower, nor the equipment. Think about how long it would take to pull a carrier out of storage, gather a ship's company and form and equip an airwing.

Believe it or not, we still have a core of skilled laborers for these types of jobs. Also, the current time to build an Aircraft carrier is 7 years. I'm sure that if push came to shove, we could cut that time in half. We also have a boneyard for just such an aircraft surge until Boeing and Lockheed could ramp up production. I also believe that our vets could be motivated to mobilize on short notice. Hell, there were WWII guys trying to re-enlist to go to Afghanistan in Sept 2001.