• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WTF: Drinking Age Goes Up On Navy Bases On Guam

bb1125

None
Freaking brilliant! Don't drink here on base where it's safe. Go across the island, get hammered and then drive back.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I hate how you can be sent into combat to die for your country but you can't drink a brewski in a "controlled" environment.

brownshoe

Contributor
I hate how you can be sent into combat to die for your country but you can't drink a brewski in a "controlled" environment.

Hit the nail right on the head “controlled environment.” The “EM” clubs in my day were bartended by enlisted navy men seeking the extra money in a part time job. Everyone knew everyone, and they’d keep an eye on the men drinking. Good times then… not the politically correct navy of today. WTF!?! You got “plowed” you got a “for sure ride” back to your barracks. We all looked out for one another!

If you're old enough to fight and die, then in my book, you're old enough to have a drink.

Steve

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The military keeps making the penalties for drinking more and more stiff while it sees alcohol-related problems continue to occur. Hmmm...

Gee, think you might have fewer problems if you just made the E-club 18+ to drink and servicemen could just walk/duty van back to the barracks? Crazy idea. Maybe you might have fewer sailors/Marines going to TJ and thrown in Mexican jails? Maybe you'd have fewer fights with civilians? Just a thought.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
The military keeps making the penalties for drinking more and more stiff while it sees alcohol-related problems continue to occur. Hmmm....
This reminds me of the parents of high schoolers that let their kids drink at home....the parents take the novelty of getting schloshed and make it not as novel and therefore less dangerous.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
The military keeps making the penalties for drinking more and more stiff while it sees alcohol-related problems continue to occur. Hmmm...

Gee, think you might have fewer problems is you just made the E-club 18+ to drink and servicemen could just walk/duty van back to the barracks? Crazy idea. Maybe you might have fewer sailors/Marines going to TJ and thrown in Mexican jails? Maybe you'd have fewer fights with civilians? Just a thought.
I don't totally buy into the argument that because you can join the military at 18 you should be able to drink. That being said, I agree that raising the age has not really solved all of the problems it was supposed to...I have seen a few write-ups that show that the opposite is true.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot

Gee, think you might have fewer problems is you just made the E-club 18+ to drink and servicemen could just walk/duty van back to the barracks? Crazy idea. Maybe you might have fewer sailors/Marines going to TJ and thrown in Mexican jails? Maybe you'd have fewer fights with civilians? Just a thought.

Yup.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Hmmm... Gee, think you might have fewer problems is you just made the E-club 18+ to drink ...Just a thought.
You mean like it was 40+ years ago???

It seemed to work "better" (always a relative term) with less hand wringing on the part of the Command ... as we normally "policed" our OWN and cleaned up our own "messes" on a frequent and continuing basis. It made life easier on the Shore Patrol & MP's, too ... :)

Believe it.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
This reminds me of the parents of high schoolers that let their kids drink at home....the parents take the novelty of getting schloshed and make it not as novel and therefore less dangerous.

FLYTPAY, +1, you've hit the nail on the head when you associate drinking with a novelty. I started playing hockey in Canada when I was 18, where the drinking age is 18. I compare the 18 year old Canadians with the 18 year old college freshman I see and there's no comparison in terms of responsible drinking and planning ahead. A lot of academic types think that's precisely why a drinking age should be lowered to 18.