• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wtb-sig Holster And 1911

FLY_USMC

pilot
Curious if anyone on here has a non-railed 229 holster they're looking to part with? And 2nd, I'm going to be in the market for a 5" Kimber Tactical Custom II/Springfield Loaded 5" in probably the next 2 weeks or so, anyone parting? If you got em, show em. Thanks.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Have you tried M1911.org forums????

Buying something pre-owned is ok but I have not seen a real price break/advantage over buying something new. At lest in a 1911. Glocks, Sigs, etc - then yes.

So many good 1911's out there and Springfield and Kimber are definitely the best in the bunch from any mass produced 1911. The Lightweight operator and Kimber Tac are both fine guns. Have you shot either?

FLY_USMC

pilot
Just the Tactical, I've been keeping my eyes open on AR.15.com as well, but thanks!

I think I can get anything Springfield for ULTRA cheap through Quantico Arms, so if I decide to buy a SA, I'm just going to swing by on my way home for Christmas and buy one.

I've never shot an Operator, but I have shot a Kimber Tactical and I really liked it. I've got several people emailing me, one has a Kimber Warrior with about 300 rds downrange asking me to make him an offer, was asking $900, could probably get it for $800. Another fella has a Kimber Tactical Custom but it has an external extractor and that, combined with an alloy frame, has got me kind of worried. I'm might offer him $625ish for it, but I'm almost sold on buying a new SA, either a Loaded for $652, or a LW Operator for $860.

Anyone have any experience with Smith & Wesson 1911's? Never shot one, they look nice.

BTW, I've never shot a SA 1911, assuming they shoot nice.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Springfield and Kimber both have great triggers that break clean. These are shooter's guns. The LW Operator is really nice - the lighter weight frame makes a real difference. I like SA's and Kinbers low end pistols because you get the benefits of a 1911 that are used as thebase guns for all their high end models. Match grade bushings, barrels, and a nice tight slide to frame fit.

I have a base Kimber Custom II with the newer internal extractor and simply love it. 3000 rounds later and it continues to run flawlessly. I would equally recommend any SA Loaded or Kimber Custom II or TLE.

SA throws in a lot nicer goodies with thier guns and they tend to include Novak carry/low mount sights. The value add on Kimber is their amazing customer service and support.

You can't go wrong with either. If you decide you want to spend more than say $800 your options start opening up though. But under $800, then SA or Kimber hands down - for a pistol you can stake your life on.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Any reason you want the Kimber instead of other brands?
Considering I haven't shot any other 1911's, and a buddy of mine who used to teach at GUNSITE swears by Kimbers. A simple answer is I need to start somewhere!

Chuck, Thanks for the advice:)

MasterBates

I like Springfield personally.

If you go Kimber, get an INTERNAL (normal for 1911s) extractor. seen some problems with external extractors, but never with their internal extractor models.