• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wrist surgery

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
It was confirmed that I need wrist surgery yesterday. I have already set a date (next Wednesday). I would call my OR and talk to him, however, he is on leave presently. I need to get a screw in my wrist and was wondering if this will cause problems with my FS or rejoining the Navy? I received my FS letter late last month and should be coming out of my cast around the beginning of August (approx the 3rd). I have an OCS date for October and my doc believes I should be good to go by then. Any knowledge and advice you all have concerning this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
TBC

The Phiz

pilot
I have a plate and 2 screws in my wrist (installed in High school), and it was a pain with the paperwork, but I am currently flying with no restrictions. I know that for me to get PQ'd for flight, I had to have the Xrays and the surgeons notes saying it was "Not palpable" and that I had "Full range of motion".

Disclaimer: I am not doc. This is just what happened to me.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
yea, what he said. Full ROM, no residual pain and off meds. Waivers for retained hardware are either not needed or very easy to get, depending on situation. Go forth and do good things.

beaverslayer

pilot
I have a screw in my wrist, and a plate with a bunch of screws on my collar bone. Both healed fine, full range of motion, no pain, etc. I have a waiver for the plate, and didn't even need one for the wrist. Good luck with your surgery! Rehab sucks, but if everything heals right you shouldn't have any problems from the Navy.

The Phiz

pilot
I have a waiver for the plate, and didn't even need one for the wrist.
I never got a waiver for my wrist, and then got to advanced, and the doc told me I NEEDED a waiver... and it took a long time to find where it said that 'retained hardware in the extremities does not require a waiver' or something to that effect. But it does say no waiver needed.