• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wright-Pat AFB Grad School - Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finally got my orders to Grad School and was wondering if anyone had any advice. I know I've already asked a few questions on this before, so specifically:

1. If you, too, are a JO going to Ohio for the AE-IGEP deal, let me know.
2. Living in Dayton, OH? Any thoughts (housing arrangements, etc.)?
3. Why do my orders say, "FOR DUTY UNDER INSTRUCTION IN A FLYING STATUS"? Does this mean I get to go on F-18 rides? ;)
4. Any general advice for grad school, working with the AF, etc.

Thanks!

- CH

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Chris Hill said:
So I finally got my orders to Grad School and was wondering if anyone had any advice. I know I've already asked a few questions on this before, so specifically:

1. If you, too, are a JO going to Ohio for the AE-IGEP deal, let me know.
2. Living in Dayton, OH? Any thoughts (housing arrangements, etc.)?
3. Why do my orders say, "FOR DUTY UNDER INSTRUCTION IN A FLYING STATUS"? Does this mean I get to go on F-18 rides? ;)
4. Any general advice for grad school, working with the AF, etc.

Thanks!

- CH

3. I believe if you scroll down them further, they will cancel that out.

from3to29

Congrats into the grad program. I was part of the AE-IGEP program in the first year (graduated June 2004) and here is some info on the program:

-there is no BOQ, so you have to live off base (or apply for air force housing). most of us lived in Fairborn/Beavercreek area.

-"FOR DUTY UNDER INSTRUCTION IN A FLYING STATUS" does not really mean anything at AFIT (Air Force Institute of Technology), the Air Force will know you are aviators because you will be an O-1 and also in Khakis

-get a set of utilities, the Air Force has dress down Fridays, you will not be given flight suits to wear....you will wear a uniform everyday at AFIT

-you will be one of probably 35 Naval Officers at AFIT, one of probably 11 Ensigns

-the program will allow you to get your Masters Degree with whatever effort you put into it, you will have to do a thesis though

-the Air Force is the Air Force, so expect some differences from typical Navy stuff

Good luck with the program.

Thanks for the info, from3to29! Were you able to do JPME by any chance? I know they have/had it at NPS.

I know this is somewhat subjective, but how hard was the program? It's a masters in 12 months, so I figure they work you pretty hard.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice!

from3to29

-I have never heard about JPME until you mentioned it, so my answer is: no idea. The Vice-Commandant at AFIT is a Navy Captain (well, at least it was when I was there), and the Vice-Commandant can answer any questions or look into anything you ask him.

-The program is divided into the quarter system, and you will have to finish after 4 quarters. They will guide you with a syllabus, but prepare to start your thesis in the second quarter.

-The Air Force takes this school very seriously, so expect to be challenged. But, they will help you pass and earn your degree.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm no expert on JPME, but I'm pretty sure you have to be a mid-grade LT before you get into it.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
from3to29 said:
-the program will allow you to get your Masters Degree with whatever effort you put into it
Sounds like a quality program.

Chris, since you're going to be there anyway, see if you can get your JPME knocked out. They may give you a hard time due to the rank factor, but peg on em anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.