• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Worried about my vision

swampertness

I have a little more than 20/500 vision. I'm worrying that that will keep me from becoming a naval flight officer. Will it? Also, I heard about getting waivers for your eyesight. What does that mean exactly and how do I get one?

exNavyOffRec

I have a little more than 20/500 vision. I'm worrying that that will keep me from becoming a naval flight officer. Will it? Also, I heard about getting waivers for your eyesight. What does that mean exactly and how do I get one?

The manual goes by diopters so on the exam they will put -X.XX so without that it is hard to say.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
You will get a physical around your junior year. If you're out of standards, you might have the option to get LASIK surgery (on your own dime of course) to correct your vision.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

My eyes were worse than that when I was an SNFO and I got through. It is the diopters that matter as already mentioned, do you know what they are?

jcj

I thought you get disqualified if you get lasik.

It used to be that PRK was the only acceptable vision correction surgery for military aviation because PRK doesn't involve creation of a corneal flap (LASIK does). There was concern that the high-G maneuvers that can be associated with some types of military aviation could dislodge the corneal flap. I think a few years ago now, the services changed policy and started accepting LASIK as an acceptable vision correction surgery, provided the results are satisfactory and the pre-surgery vision doesn't exceed the published pre-surgery standards.

mizzouzk

Fly big stuff
I got LASIK and it was the best decision of my life. Financed it over 2 years and pay $100 a month and its at zero interest if I pay it off. The recovery time was great and I got into OCS for SNA. Trust me it sucks to have to pay out of pocket, but if its what you want to do then do it.