• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Working with the detailer

NOSA

Far East Hawkeye NFO
Questions
1. Where do I find out what jobs (or types of jobs) are available to a first tour NFO coming up to a first shore tour?

2. Any advice for working with the detailer in general?

Background
I'm a first tour NFO coming up for my first set of orders where I actually have a small measure of input. The big push in my command (or the E-2 community?) seems to be to the RAG, NSAWC or the WTU. Frankly, I am not interested. I've looked at lists of jobs other guys in the community have (bubba list), but want to know what is available outside of that as well. I would love to work in TAMPA with SOCOM or CENTCOM, but am unsure if anything is avaible. Some guys have told me you have to watch what you say to the detailer or you could shoot yourself in the foot. Any input? Thanks in advance for any help!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Questions
1. Where do I find out what jobs (or types of jobs) are available to a first tour NFO coming up to a first shore tour?

2. Any advice for working with the detailer in general?

Background
I'm a first tour NFO coming up for my first set of orders where I actually have a small measure of input. The big push in my command (or the E-2 community?) seems to be to the RAG, NSAWC or the WTU. Frankly, I am not interested. I've looked at lists of jobs other guys in the community have (bubba list), but want to know what is available outside of that as well. I would love to work in TAMPA with SOCOM or CENTCOM, but am unsure if anything is avaible. Some guys have told me you have to watch what you say to the detailer or you could shoot yourself in the foot. Any input? Thanks in advance for any help!
I think you will find you are a little too junior for SOCOM or CENTCOM. When I was at SOUTHCOM, most officers were O4 and above. There were a few below O4 but they were genrally things like PAO, JAG, etc that had a specific specialty.

Just call your detailer on the phone, tell him your desires and ask what he has. He will look at your record. If he tries to steer you towards certain jobs, it is probably because he it looking at career enhancing type jobs. You can always him "not interested". But remember it is the needs of the Navy and then your needs.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Have you thought about NPS?

***WARNING: THREAD HIJACK***

Hey NOSA, how do you like being an E-2 NFO? Atsugi?

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
RetreadRand said:
You may be too junior, but I had not even pinned on O-3 when I got orders to EUCOM...the only issue is that you won't get joint credit...

Sorry to hijack again...but how did you like EUCOM. Duty in Europe is near the top of my list of "Things to do before I retire."

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
Word of advice, don't tell the detailer what I did when I decided to leave the Navy vs. reading between the lines that I would have ended up in a DH spot flying the Hawkeye. I'm not sure if he ever found that part of the body that I told him he could put his offer.

Two things to consider if it is available. Geilenkirchen, Germany. A little known part of the world that I've heard has a small contingency of E-2 bubbas there. If you need info on the area let me know, it's where I found Erdinger and will be going back in about a month.

The other, is when looking to get out is the nugget in Atlanta that I think will eventually move to New Orleans but I've got some friends in that squadron that talk very highly of it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
You may be too junior, but I had not even pinned on O-3 when I got orders to EUCOM...the only issue is that you won't get joint credit...
It is hard to get SOCOM and SPAWAR type billets unless you know somebody on the inside...If you are a decent performer, I would talk to your XO and tell him what you really want to do...A lot of times they will go to bat for you with the detailer..they have a little more leverage than you do...But I would go to the XO first...

Can not emphasize this enough. Some communities have their front office more involved than others, but you need to involve them because they can help you out. Talk to some of the senior LTs in your squadron to see what they did.

Brett

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
It's amazing the amount of interference/skid greasing that your front office can run for you provided you have a plausible argument for why you'd like job X. Going it alone can often spell career suicide, but a few words from them can often make the impossible possible without sinking you career-wise. Take it from one who's done it; and I'm alive, well, and as competitive as I ever was (if not more so now).

NOSA

Far East Hawkeye NFO
Thanks!

Hey all! Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate you all taking the time to give me some direction. At this point I think I have enough info to talk intelligently to the detailer and front office. Thanks again and I'll let you know how it turns out!