• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Working While in BDCP

fighterpfeif

After contracting under BDCP can I still work a civilian job. I would assume that the answer would be no, if the job would require you to have your income taxed, then you couldn't work that job. I'd would think the Navy would claim that the pay they are giving you is enough and you shouldn't have to work, might be totally off though on that assumption.

I would still like to work over the summers when not in school in order to keep myself busy and not get too bored with life. Hate to say it, but I like to work.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
You can still work summers. That shouldn't be a problem. If someone in the Navy can work a second job, why can't you?

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I was on BDCP summer of 04, held a job as an engineer and a paramedic, continued to hold my paramedic job school year of 04-05 while on BDCP and then summer of 05 before OCS... as long as you keep your grades up and PT, no one will care at all. I was putting down 32 hours a week while going to school no problem.

fighterpfeif

What if the job requires you to travel and do overnights, found a flight position doing photo recon for John Deere. I have seen some comments that if you are heading out of town (vacation) you have to request leave. Is that right and would that apply to simply overnights while doing this job?

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Talk to your OPO.

You do not have to take leave while in BDCP unless you leave CONUS. You just have to let your command know where you are.

If you take a job and your grades suffer, you will be held accountable, so it is something not to be taken lightly.

If you were my collegiate and I was confident that your grades were fine and you were staying in shape, I would be stoked for your.

Best of luck.

fighterpfeif

Luckily the job is only over the summer. But when you say that you have to let the command know where you are is that being your primary residence or where you are at all times, I would occansionally take over nights, I would think they would only want to know where home is.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
The point is that if you go to the other side of the country for a day, get into a car wreck, break some bones and end up in the hospital... higher command will ask them what you were doing there... you don't want them hanging in the wind going "He was where?"

It only takes an email to let them know. I kept my command up to date even if I was going to the beach 4 hours away for the weekend.