• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

work out

Status
Not open for further replies.

leimarfc

Im trying to mix weightlifting, running, and hiking into one continuous workout this summer without my knees exploding. This will be my trial to make shure my meniscus is good to go for the Marines (Doctor said I was ok with a little rest; youth is great) and to get a 300 pft. I am looking for some suggestions or comments.

RyanVR

You'd probably be better off posting this in the PFT forum I believe.

Weightlifting, running, and hiking huh?

Whatever works for you, just don't overdo it and injure yourself. The key to victory is consistency and dedication.

Ryan Von Rembow
PLC-186-C candidate

E5M

improved PFT

When I got out of the Corps last Year, I finally had a good plan mastered that resulted in a 295 PFT.. The Weight Lifting and running thing are your best bet. The Weights (especially back workout) will help you with pull ups (the money maker on a PFT). THe running is important too, but mix it up. DO a well diversified running program with sprints, distance, moderate cardio running.. I would stay away from hiking. All that is really going to do for you is give you shin splints, fallen arches, bad knees, and joints. Hiking isnt very important for trying to improve a PFT score, it only benefits you when you are in the fleet and hump alot.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
to change the subject alittle...

last summer, i used to run about 3 miles a day, weight trained 3/4 times a week, and did calisthenics like it was a religion. i had some difficulty for about a year, and decided to workout again this summer, except that there is now a dramatic difference. how should i start again? what should i do to get the mentality back?

Last summer stats: 170 lbs
bench- 245 lbs (max); started 1st set with 170
leg press- ~700
pull ups- 15
run- slow but steady
push ups- about 90 (2 min)
sit ups- about 90 (2 min)

NOW: 160-65 lbs
bench: at most 180; 1st set 140
leg press- don't ask, don't tell
pull ups- 9
run- snail's pace
push ups- 50/60 (2 min)
sit ups- about 60/70

if anyone has a starter's workout, please, do tell!!!

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
oops, forgot!

JoshuaJWallace: the best workout for you back imo is just pull ups. if you want, you can add lat pulldown and seated rows, but my back became super duper after doing only pull ups.

i ALWAYS do pyramids, but why don't you try the Armstrong exercise? i am thinking about trying that out, soon.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
Here's a simple squid's suggestion. TRIATHLON.

1) The swim gives you a MASSIVE back/tricep/chest workout.
2) In training you run for time, not distance (e.g. run 45 minutes vice 4 miles)
3) biking(sp?) makes you a better runner and running makes you a better biker.
4) Most sprint triathlons are 3.1 miles (5k)
5) biking improves your hip flexors which is KEY for crunches/situps where people hold your feet (not your abs as you would think)

6) It's a competition.
6a) You keep your heart rate upwards of 80+% of your max for a SOLID hour-hour and a half (all the way to 8 hours for a ironman)

www.trifind.com will show the stuff in your area.
this is the workout program I used last season. it's awesome if you can put 10-20 hours/week into it. http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_oldsite/TP/1TPIntHlf.htm

E5M

back workout

JoshuaJWallace: What I found help me ALWAYS get 20 pull ups was a good back workout.. here is what I did.. First off, to improve pull ups, always place your hands as far apart as possible, 1st, this exclusivly uses strong back muscles (instead of arm muscles when close together) and reduced your up and down distance. TO get a strong back for pull ups, Seated Rows, bumbell pulls, lat pull are always good. Anything that involves an upper back pulling motion will make you good.. hope that helped

leimarfc

I never thought hiking was that bad for you. I love it too much to stop so how do I avoid injury E5M. My favorite is this new mashine at the gym: Its like a tredmill but you can incline it up the wazoo. I put it at 20 degrees and run at 6mph for 10 min. Same cardio workout as running 10mph for 20min. Tons of fun for the first 90 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.