• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Words of Wisdom for Candidates and Lieutenants

Status
Not open for further replies.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Greetings. As I fill out this blamed SF-86 clearance form AGAIN, I hope y'all can learn from my mistakes. Start a list and keep on it:

1) All family members COMPLETE names and birthdays
2) Every COMPLETE address you have ever lived at
3) A person who can verify you lived at that address
4) Your entire education history (including the address of the college) and someone who can verify it
5) Your entire employment history (including addresses) and someone who can verify it
6) Your entire military history with the addresses, phone number and Commanding Officer (full name) of every unit you have been in
7) Every foreign country - and the dates - you have visited

Trust me, it will save you A LOT of grief in the future.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
You're not supposed to, but I got commissioned without the Navy ever completing the investigation, and I was told by my security manager that I needed to fill it out again so I could get secret clearance. Trust me, you may fill it out right the first time, but it doesn't mean the investigation will get done. Reassuring, huh?

46Driver

Sometimes your clearance will expire if you go to a unit that doesn't need a clearance, you will need to do it if you go to a reserve squadron, you have to do it again if you get upgraded to a TS/SCI, etc.....

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The process for approval of a security clearance was so poorly run a few years ago it became a minor scandal. There was a backup of about 400,000 applications and it took up to a year or more to get approved. I remember a couple instances where my squadron would send one off and never hear about it again, it just disappeared. A more common occurence is that when you often apply for one you are moving from command to command going through training and it falls through the cracks.

To tag onto what 46Driver has to say, my advice is to keep a paper copy of your SF-86 in your files and that will solve most of your problems (it is done electronically now but they can print you out a completed copy, better yet save it to a disk). I just had my periodic review (every 5 years for a TS/SCI) and it helped enormously. This is one of those instances where you are the only one who cares about it so you need to keep an eye on it.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Flash said:
To tag onto what 46Driver has to say, my advice is to keep a paper copy of your SF-86 in your files and that will solve most of your problems (it is done electronically now but they can print you out a completed copy, better yet save it to a disk). I just had my periodic review (every 5 years for a TS/SCI) and it helped enormously. This is one of those instances where you are the only one who cares about it so you need to keep an eye on it.

Do they make you do the polygraph every 5 years? I have a friend who tells me horror stories about them. I am not looking forward.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Polygraph? I've been in 9 years and never had one. Of course, I'm just a "secret."

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I was under the impression that NFO's had to get one? What do I know though? My friend does engineering for a gov't agency, and he has nothing but horrible things to say about them. Maybe and NFO could shed some light?

46Driver

I think for NFO's it is platform dependent on whether or not you will need higher clearances.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Speaking Jim Carrey style, i.e. out my ass, I don't think the polygraph is a req't for NFOs per se. However, pilots and NFOs assigned to jobs where they may require Top Secret or the super-cool Special Compartmented Info (SCI) clearances would need them. Some of the NFO-heavy platforms, like the EA6B or EP3, would probably be more likely to need that. I will put the call out to FOs to confirm my guess.

mbeaser

Your average run of the mill SCI isn't going to get a polygraph, although I'm honestly not sure what exactly will get you one. I think that your SCI operator isn't going to be getting a polygraph, but designers will, and fixers (get into the electronics types) might. Again, though, just my opinion. I've held SCI at 3 out of 5 commands and never got a polygraph done. Definitely keep ahold of the info for the SF 86, you'll have to recertify every 5 years for TS and above (I think it is 8 for Secret, but don't quote me on that one) and so will need all that info over again. Fortunately my paperwork was in my service record.
Missy, IT1 type

46Driver

No, but it helps - it shows interest in the subject matter. For your career, Naval War College courses are important and a TS/SCI clearance is golden on the outside. It really opens up a lot of doors: both in the reserves as well as in the civilian world. Beg, borrow, or steal to get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.