• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Word to the Wise on Medical and MEPS

kevoGTO

SNA select OCS 8Sept07, ProRec SNA 26Jan09
Thought I'd give everyone that's in the application a word of caution, ESPECIALLY aviators. Medical up here in Newport is very different than Pcola, primarily because the doctors here aren't yet familiar with the intensity of the physical training at OCS, but also because NAMI is still in Pcola, yet you take your flight physical here on day 2 of indoc week.

I showed up with class 02-08 on 08 Sep 07. Although I had been cleared at MEPS as having 20/20 eyesight (6 months after PRK), I failed the eye exam on day 2. I fought the system for about 4 weeks, had myself re-examined twice, and eventually managed to get ahold of one of the flight surgeons at NAMI. He told me that basically, MEPS had DQ'ed me for having too much astigmatism for aviation, but that the Navy had given me a waiver anyway. Basically, the waiver was only good to get me into the program - the flight surgeons won't waive the problem I have, so my options were to redesignate or NPQ from OCS. I've been here 8 weeks now, and I'm in student pool waiting to leave here next week. I get to go home, have another surgery, and wait 6 months to even REAPPLY for another waiver, then reapply to the program, then start back at the seawall....

Obvious that sucks. But the real problem is that this isn't an isolated incident; the Navy knew I wouldn't pass my eye test here, but they brought me anyway, assuming I'd redesignate. The guy across the hall from me in student pool is color blind; somehow he "magically" passed at MEPS, only to come all the way to RI from TX to be told he'll never be a Naval Officer unless he wants Supply. Apparently, officers are in high demand right now, and people are sliding through at MEPS, only to get here and have problems - everything from eyesight to a guy that showed up with severe scoliosis. All of my problems could have been avoided if they weren't hurting so badly for numbers - I could have had the 2nd PRK hit, waited 90 more days, and prevented all of this wasted time and hassle that the last 2 months have amounted to.

My advice is this: be proactive with your own medical profile. DONT show up with a PRK waiver for aviation just assuming that everything will be alright. Go find a civilian optometrist that can give you a GOODLITE 10x10 chart exam and make sure you see 20/20 out of EACH EYE using less than the limits of correction (they're posted everywhere on here). Don't bother coming if you can't do this. The 5 letter projection charts that they use at MEPS are worthless. YOU HAVE TO PASS A GOODLITE TEST WITH 20/20 -0 (ALL LETTERS CORRECT) TO QUALIFY FOR PILOT.

One final note is to be prepared to take your eye exam after 2 nights of very little and very broken sleep. It sucks, and hopefully they change that soon, but as of now...that's how it works. As for people with other physical problems, I had a torn muscle in my back - to which the doctor prescribed Motrin 3x a day, said I would be fine, and to "try and stay off of it, and don't do any strenuous physical activity such as pushups". Anyone that knows anything about OCS knows what a ridiculous recommendation that is. Basically, take care of your issues before you get up to RI. Don't expect things to work like clockwork up here...it's definitely still a work in progress.

As for myself, it's back home to visit the laser again...then, maybe, back to visit the Seawall in a few months...

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the post. This is the kind of info that needs to be posted on the site. + rep.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Good post. We had two SNAs in our class who were NPQ at NAMI due to visual acuity. I squeaked by with 20/40, but one ended up in student pool, but got NFO and re-classed up. The other had to go SWO. It's unfortunate but it happens. Be proactive is right!

millerjd

Stayin' alive
Great - Now I'm back to crapping my pants about going to OCS and getting kicked out. I'm 20/40 and slight color issue, but have passed the FALANT in the past.

At least I wont be surprised if I am kicked out.

tiger84

LT
pilot
The NAMI whammy was really the only thing that genuinely scared me about going to OCS. However, they aren't actively trying to NPQ you, so just go in as relaxed as possible and it should hopefully work out fine.

millerjd

Stayin' alive
All I can say is if I go down, I wont be going down without a fight and I feel bad for the person on the other side of the table.

I understand, sorta, but I just love how you have to be 20/40 going in, but can go near blind after commissioning.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I will be going in for SWO (barring final select)and was wondering how different the medical is verses the flight physical. I know I will be wearing BCG's and this post racks my nerves a little.

tiger84

LT
pilot
I will be going in for SWO (barring final select)and was wondering how different the medical is verses the flight physical. I know I will be wearing BCG's and this post racks my nerves a little.

The SWOs get the regular old physical, although I'm not quite sure what that entails. The aviation folks, specwar guys and sub guys get the royal treatment which is quite a bit longer and more intense.

haubby

None
Contributor
The only vision tests that are done for non-aviation phsyicals was depth perception, color-blindness and tonometry. Thats pretty much all I can remember from mine.

tiger84

LT
pilot
All I can say is if I go down, I wont be going down without a fight and I feel bad for the person on the other side of the table.

I understand, sorta, but I just love how you have to be 20/40 going in, but can go near blind after commissioning.

I guess that's just the way it is now. The Navy has enough applicants who are PQ to fill the slots so it doesn't need to relax the standards.

BigRed389

None

SWO? Don't sweat it.

The only SWOs that might sweat it a little are the nukes, since they go over to NOMI but plain jane SWOs only get the first day basic look over.