• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Women in OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedgirl

Can any women who have recently graduated from OCS describe what the experience was like? How many women were in your class, what were the PT sessions like, etc. I haven't heard much from my recruiter on what the days at OCS will be like. Also, what are we allowed to bring with us to OCS, and are there any restrictions on how many people we can bring to graduation? Thanks!

sirenia

Sub Nuke's Wife
EngineGirl has a thread similar to this going and there are a couple of women on there who might be able to help you out.

kappu411

Naval Aviator
u can have as many people at graduation as you want , i had 18 people fly in ... u can bring all the stuff on the list the recruiter should have given u, i am not a female, however there were normally 2-5 women in a class and 30-50 men, but every one is equal in the candidates eyes, in the DI's eyes women cause problem in runs and general PT, but that is it, one femalle in my class made a 3 bar which i thought was great another a 5 bar.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
I noticed that recently alot of women have been asking questions about OCS and the differnt things we might go through there (I havet gotten several PM's and IM's). I am going to write a "common questions" paper that I have noticed alot of women have (not things that would make OCS easier....just questions that women have that men don't have to deal with and questions about being a women at OCS). I have gotten some very good info, suggestions, and advice from women who have gone thorugh OCS. If you feel you have anything you would like to add, or you are intrested in recieveing the paper, PM me.

Thanks for all the help ladies!!!

EngineGirl

usmith

I'm not sure what PM'ing you is. But I would like to see your paper about women at OCS. Can you view my email address? Anyway, if you could, it would be great if you could email it to me. Ursula_Smith@hotmail.com.

Thanks!

speedgirl

Meps

I'm hoping to hear from any females who have been processed through MEPS. I've heard some accounts of male experiences but never from a female. Thanks!

pineapplehead

BDCP Crypto, OCS - July 9, 2005
My visit to MEPS wasn't fun, but it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

The first stuff is done with the guys - hearing, vision, blood work. Then they split us up. When I went there were only 5 girls vs about 50 guys. I was the only officer applicant in the group - most of the rest of them were high schoolers. The first thing we did separately was urine sample. The woman in charge of us was supposed to watch us give it to make sure there was no tampering, but instead we just had to leave the door to the stall open. We also couldn't wash our hands until after we had handed the sample over (gross!!). Then we had to change into paper gowns and we waited forever. One by one we talked to a doctor and then were checked out fully - it was a guy, and it was really uncomfortable for me, but I figured it could be worse. After all of us were done we had to do things such a duck walk, hop on one foot, twists, etc to show that our muscles worked properly - this was done wearing only bra and underwear. And then we were done :) Overall, not particularly pleasant, but if you expect the worst, it will be okay.

Definitely bring something to read. You have to store any bags when you first get there, but you can carry a book around. There is A LOT of waiting around. Good luck!!

jaggurl

yah that sums it up...

Pineapplehead pretty much summed it all up...that's the same experience I had at the Boston MEPS about a month ago. I was also the only officer candidate with 3 high school seniors. We had to report at 5:15am and I wasn't done until almost noon, so definitely bring something to read. Good Luck! And like Pineapplehead said, it's not that bad.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Also, when I went, some women had to have pap smears. I had a copy of my most recent one (about 3 months old) so I didn't have to get one. So it might be helpful to have a copy of your most recent pap smear.

EngineGirl

speedgirl

Thanks to everyone who wrote about their experience at MEPS. I was just processed today, and it was definitely not as bad as I thought it would be. I had expected the worst. I was also the only officer applicant out of about 40, but it still went pretty fast - I was out by 11 am. There were about 10-12 females, all were checked by a female doctor, and nobody got PAP smears so maybe it's different depending on which MEPS you go to. The worst part was the full physical, but other than that it's not too bad. I didn't even need the book I took because it all went so quickly. Glad it's over with!

Status
Not open for further replies.