• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wives jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I have a few questions concerning the wives of the OC's and commissioned officers. I assume that most of you ladies have a college education, so my question is are there usually jobs on base, or nearby, for the wives to start their career too?

I'm curious because I want my wife to be supportive of me, but I also want her to be successful. I have a pretty serious girlfriend and she's studying elementary education and she plans on going to graduate school to get her Masters in speech therapy. Are there usually job openings for new incoming wives on base or in the surrounding areas? I thought this would be the best place to ask, for I know some of you ladies are probably new to military life and learning a lot too. Thanks. God Bless.

Semper FI

solenita72

SWO Wife
I can imagine with a elementary ed degree w/ a master's in speech therapy, she will have no probelms finding employment. Teachers seem to always be in demand here in our area, and just in general.

funkonomics

solenita72,
do you know how the ed scene looks for other education jobs? My wife's in the same spot, except she has MA in counselor ed. I know for those jobs in Ca, someone has to retire or pass away to get it.

solenita72

SWO Wife
I know that in our area, there are always spots open for teachers. I don't know why Virginia seems to be in a such a dire need for teachers. Administrative position in education? I don't see those positions advertised too often, plus our state is in such a bad economic situation that most positions are frozen, at least with the colleges, they are!

jwnole

My sister in law got a full time high school teaching job in VA with only a bachelors, not even a teaching certificate. Her degree was not related to education at all. The state payed for her additional classes to get certified while she taught. They gave her something like three years. I dont think you can beat that.

Meegz

I envy your girlfriend and the fact that you are actually considering how your future in the Navy might impact her and her career. I have a very serious boyfriend and we had definitely planned on getting married. I am 28 and a lawyer in Minneapolis where I have practiced for 2 1/2 years. I am not going to have many career options if I cannot stay in one state. My boyfriend is going to be an NFO and is at OCS right now. He keeps telling me it will all work out, but I don't think he has really thought about any of the logistics. Can anyone give me a realistic picture of the amount of control he will have over where he ends up? Will he even have a choice in the plane he flies? If he decides he doesn't want to get his wings (6-10 more years of active duty, what happens given that he owes 4 years after OCS? Will he have a choice? Obviously, I am very apprehensive and I think he only tells me the best case scenario. I appreciate any insight anyone can give me.

Meghan

e5b-wife

Meegz - I really don't have the information to answer most of your questions but I'm sure someone here can. I just have a suggestion. The military contracts with civilians for all sorts of services it is possible that you could work out a way to practice law this way and be able to be with your boyfriend where ever he goes. I just thought it might be something you could research to give yourself some options. Just an idea to look into.

Meegz

Yeah, I have actually thought about the JAG program. I think that would give us the best chance of being together. It is not really what I had in mind for my legal career. I have been told that it wouldn't boost the resume at all. I also think I might feel lame being around "real officers" all the time. I can't imagine they get much respect from the other officers.

Meghan

kismet423

Hello! I am a speech therapist and absolutely love my job.
icon_smile.gif
Like you, my husband would like for me to be successful in my career, but I am first and foremost here to support his Naval career. My first thought is where does she plan on obtaining her Masters? When does she graduate with her Bachelors? How does this fit into your plan and where you will be?

The reason I ask is because this was something that greatly affected our relationship. My husband and I graduated at the same time, and I decided to stay at UF to get my Masters while he went to Pensacola, Newport, and San Diego. The Masters programs tend to be small and they require you to be there each semester for clinical practicums. For me it was worth the sacrifice of 1 1/2 years long distance relationship in order to get my degree and have a job I love. There are many people who also start and never finish, as being apart is too difficult. We both walked into this with eyes wide open and knew of the sacrifices we would make, but in the long run it was worth it for us and the future we wanted. I guess my point is to consider the logistics of it all now before she is accepted into a program and then finds out you will be in another state for the duration, and to make sure it is worth it to both of you.

Next, the job market for SLPs has been pretty good everywhere I've gone (CA, FL, now WA). The way I look at it, there will be schools and hospitals anywhere we end up!! So that has never been a concern for me. Working in the schools can be difficult as far as timing, because I end up leaving before the year is over, or arrive say in February when schools are usually staffed. Although, I've found school districts are usually short a couple SLPs even half-way into the school year. Hospitals tend to be more flexible in this way.

Now, here's the best news yet!! I have come across a company called Progressus Therapy, Inc. (www.progressustherapy.com) This is a nationwide company based out of Tampa, FL who staffs SLPs, OTs, and PTs in schools and hospitals. The first year they pay on the hour, but then you can move to salary based pay. They give you a base pay, but then have a housing allowance, similar to the military. They have medical/dental insurance, life insurance, and many other benefits. One of the best things for me is that they pay for your first time licensing fee in that state. Your girlfriend will find that each state she moves to she will be required to get a license, and that can cost approx. $100-$200 depending on the state. So, it can get expensive needless to say, especially if you don't stay in the state for more than a year!! Progressus will reimburse her for the licensing costs. The company is designed for people who want to move around and work in different areas from year to year. Of course they prefer you work the entire school year, but they have said they are willing to work with me being a military wife. I have just started working with them so I can let you know how it goes. Oh, another great thing is that they have supervisors who can help her get her CFY (Clinicians First Year- basically first 9 months after getting MA she will still require supervision by licensed SLP). Now if she, or anyone else who reads this and decides to work for Progressus, please just tell them you heard about it from me (Karianne Wilkins) as they give bonuses for referrals! I'll thank you in advance. :)

Of course I could talk about being a SLP all day long, or the trials and tribulations of being a Navy wife for that matter, but I won't. Just have her email me with any questions about either subject, I'd love to hear from her. Especially about what to expect from a Masters program...I was so intimidated!
shake_125.gif
Anyway, hope everything works out for you both.

Take care,
Karianne
kismet423@hotmail.com

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Thank you so much Karianne. She'll be glad to hear about the Progressus program and what all you said about being an aviator's spouse. You, along with everyone else on this board, have been a great help with my decision. This gives me some inspiration, and I want her to be happy too. I can't thank you enough. Thanks Airwarriors.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
-Col.3:23-

Status
Not open for further replies.