• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Withdrawing from Classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ander37

K-rock
Do you think it looks really bad to have W's on your transcripts?
I withdrew from a class in my 3rd year (retook it the next quarter and got a B), and I am thinking of withdrawing from a class this quarter (my 5th year). Other than that, I have a 3.1 GPA.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I took the ROTC route and had one or two when I decided to dump Aero Engineering in the middle of my second semester. No biggie.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Let's put it this way:

It's better to drop a class, than to get a D or an F, damage your GPA, and then have to retake the class.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Thisguy said:
Let's put it this way:

It's better to drop a class, than to get a D or an F, damage your GPA, and then have to retake the class.

I agree, but bare in mind that most institutions, when retaking a class, will substitute your new grade for the old one, enhancing your GPA.
I prefer to do the AU route, or auditing the class. This allows you to keep going to class and gather information. An audit basically means that you are taking the class for "personal fullfillment." It is the smartest way to go. Do whatever you want in class; sleep, do other homework, but get tests and homework back. This way, the next time you take the class, you should blow it out of the water.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Godspeed said:
I agree, but bare in mind that most institutions, when retaking a class, will substitute your new grade for the old one, enhancing your GPA.

If they do that at your school, you're lucky. And I would be skeptical to believe that "most" institutions do that.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
In the Engineering Department at my school, they allow for about 20 units worth of retake courses to completely replace the grade, the rest is averaged. I dont think the other colleges at my university do it, and I only think Engineering does because its so friggin hard!

snizo

Supply Officer
Thisguy - exactly. A W is better than a D or F. W's are fine - I had two on my transcript when I graduated (though it was from ROTC).

And yea most schools don't do grade replacement - most probably just average the grade in just like any other grade.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had W's for a whole semester, plus a couple more in other semesters. Don't sweat the W's too much, but definitely work to get that GPA up.

As for the grade replacement, I would be vary wary to say that most schools do that. Some do in fact replace one grade for another (regardless if it's better the second time around), some average the two grades, and then others will tell you to pack sand...you made your bed, etc. Always, always, always check with the institution and specifically, the college or school of the institution you are attending.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My school had the option of one class a year pass/fail not a bad deal and you can put minimal effort in and still pass

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
My school had the option of one class a year pass/fail not a bad deal and you can put minimal effort in and still pass

Pass/Fail was the greatest option ever. Nothing quite like taking a class P/F and just showing up for the tests.

Of course us Liberal Arts majors also had the option of a last-class-day-q-drop. You could drop a class on the very last day of classes and it would never appear on your transcript. You only got one of these in your career though. The famed "silver bullet"... never had to utilize it though, but came close.

Status
Not open for further replies.