• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

With regards to naval flight school..

miker1

What is an ejection seat waiver? And would this be beneficial to a person whose sitting height is a little to high?

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
The waiver I have seen is for weight.

If it gets you in, it's beneficial.

If you get in and break your neck on ejection.... not so beneficial.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
There is no waiver for sitting height being too high, only for your weight. It's for if you're on the lighter side (ejection force may screw up your back) or if you're on the heavier side (the chance the ejection seat might not get you high enough to clear the tail or for the chute to deploy if ejecting on the ground). It's not guaranteed something bad will happen to you, the Navy just does it to clear them of anything because the chance exists.

As for height, if you're too tall you'll break your neck regardless as it'll be your head breaking the canopy, not the seat rails.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
One of the deleted scenes in Top Gun showed Goose appealing his (denied) application to get in. NOMI didn't send in his height waiver on time, so he frantically made some phone calls to get it faxed in. Too bad this scene got cut, but it's still viewable on the uber-special extended platinum collectors' edition DVD.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Ejection seat waivers come in LOTS of different flavors, not just for anthro specs. I had to get one when flying in S-3's because I herniated two disks in my lower back when I was a SAR swimmer. Had a good surgery, been asymptomatic ever since. If you have had or currently have ANY problems with your back or spine, chances are, you'll need an ejection seat waiver to go TACAIR.

phrogpilot73

There is no waiver for sitting height being too high
That's true for Naval Flight training, not just the ejection seat. Case in point, one of the Platoon Commanders in the Battalion was all the way up to PA's when he did an aileron roll and the instructor noticed his helmet hit the canopy. Long story short, he's now a grunt.

SlickAg

pilot
That's true for Naval Flight training, not just the ejection seat. Case in point, one of the Platoon Commanders in the Battalion was all the way up to PA's when he did an aileron roll and the instructor noticed his helmet hit the canopy. Long story short, he's now a grunt.

Must've screwed up the brief.

Seriously, I'm hoping the long story involved various rechecks and a try w/ his seat lowered down a little bit.