• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Winter Training: Treadmill Inclination

CACard

Hi guys,

First I'd like to say thanks for all the great advice posted on this site. I've been a lifelong swimmer and just finished up my collegiate swimming career so this whole running thing is fairly foreign to me especially when it comes to training.

After having read the forums I understand why running on the road is looked on more favorably then treadmill work, however since I live in maine training outside isn't possible year round. Ultimately I'm going to have to do treadmill work (which for my own reasons I like better) and was wondering what degree of inclination I should use in order to simulate as closely as possible running on the road.

I've read that the Navy uses 1 degree on its treadmill PRTs but would it be in my interest to train with 2 or 3 degrees? Any advice from you runner types is greatly appreciated, and if any of you guys need swimming tips send me a pm, I've got 16 years of competitive experience under my belt.

CA Card

Lawman

None
Incline is a good thing, it will work a lot of muscles that are largely ignored when running on flat terrain and also increases your load bearing ability. I have the same trouble as you with running outdoors being that a NE Ohio Winter is essentially burries the state for 3 months of the year so yes you can train effectively with a treadmill during that time. The important thing to remember though is a treadmill is going to keep pace for you and you loose that part of the training where you tell the voice in your head to STFU and keep running at speed. One good thing to do with a treadmill is use some of the running programs they have built on to them as this will replicate the constant changing of load and keep you from getting bored which is a lot of peoples problem with a treadmill.

CACard

Thanks for the advice. I like the treadmill because like swimming you are able to get constant feedback on just how fast/hard you are working. I'm used to practicing against a clock and training by numbers so to say. I figured by manipulating both the inclination and pace over the course of a training session on the TM I'd be able to put in a lot of quality miles while at the same time having a better grasp of just where I'm at in relation to where I need to be. Swimming has trained me to be mentally tough, and with only 2 months of running under my belt a lot of my runs are still shear force of will. I'm hoping some TM work will help me get the most out of my sessions.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
however since I live in maine training outside isn't possible year round.

Don't rule out training outside in the winter. While there are certainly days where its out of the question...huge windchills...right after a massive snowstorm etc...that isn't everyday. I grew up in the NE as well and went to school in Upstate NY and commuted 80% of the winter on my bicycle. With the right clothing it is very possible, and not at all uncomfortable to do road work in the winter.
Swimming has trained me to be mentally tough, and with only 2 months of running under my belt a lot of my runs are still shear force of will.

I have been running because of the Navy for almost a decade...and all my runs are still sheer force of will....I hate it. Always have, always will.:D