• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Winter MEDEVAC at the South Pole

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting article about the recent medevac from Amundsen-Scott Station at the South Pole by a contract Canadian Twin Otter. Only the third winter polar medevac in the station's 60-year history. Interesting that it's too cold (-100F) for the ANG's LC-130s.

In general, I find the risk assessment process for SAR/medevac decision making very interesting, especially in extreme situations like this.

"We were stuck in a place that's harder to get to than the International Space Station," said Ron Shemenski, a former physician for the station who in 2001 became the first person to be evacuated during the dark winter months. "We know we're on our own."

The doctor was determined not to leave the pole, arguing that he could treat himself on his own (indeed, by the time rescuers arrived, he was on his way to recovery, he said). But a medical expert consulted by the NSF said that Shemenski had a 50 percent chance of dying in the six months until regular flights to the pole resumed. Officials pointed out that, though Shemenski could take his own chances, they couldn't risk the possibility that his 49 colleagues would be left at the station without a doctor.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We had a former VXE-6 guy in my squadron and he had some fascinating stories about flying in Antarctica, skiing an LC-130 across the ice and navigating by contrails among others, and hanging out in New Zealand. The last Nav that went there before they shut down was in the class behind me at Randolph, I still regret not getting that slot.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We had a former VXE-6 guy in my squadron and he had some fascinating stories about flying in Antarctica, skiing an LC-130 across the ice and navigating by contrails among others, and hanging out in New Zealand. The last Nav that went there before they shut down was in the class behind me at Randolph, I still regret not getting that slot.

I worked for an NFO O-6 whose first gig out of flight school was a Herk Polar Navigator/Loadmaster with -6, and the OPSO at the RAG when I was an RNFO was a Herk pilot with them. Both had very interesting stories to tell.

There's a good doc on Netflix that follows a Kiwi comms tech during a year in Antarctica. Even the less-severe storms there in the winter are insane. Not hard to understand why flying stops there for six months. The whole subculture there with the wintering-over crews is interesting...not too unlike the Boat.

Antarctica: A Year on Ice

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The whole subculture there with the wintering-over crews is interesting...not too unlike the Boat.
Yet they're trusted to have alcohol. It's like someone thinks they're . . . adults or something.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I wonder what you do when you tie one on at the south pole. It's not like there's taxi drivers to punch and taxicabs to steal and crash...

Pags

N/A
pilot
A buddy of mine spent some time at McMurdo. He said the parties were awesome. One rave themed event was held in an empty fuel tank and was like something from a movie. Apparently there are three things you do a lot of at McMurdo:
1. Work
2. Drink
3. Screw

jmcquate

Contributor
There's always penguin abuse.............those little fuckers get damn cute after a few cocktails.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's always penguin abuse.............those little fuckers get damn cute after a few cocktails.

Which actually reminds me of something the guy in my squadron mentioned, they had really strict rules about what they could do with the wildlife down there....basically they couldn't mess with them at all. A lot of the animals were so unused to humans one time his crew had penguins swim across a small bay to inspect them up close and personal, the birds had no fear getting within arms length of them.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I read this book back when I was a Middie. Memoir by a VXE-6 Herk guy about his time flying in the Antarctic. I recall him talking about their XO locking himself in his room on multi-day benders, and the Huey guys flying some of the civvie girls out to volcanic springs for some skinny dipping. So yeah...work, drink, screw sounds accurate.

Flying Upside Down: True Tales of an Antarctic Pilot

Another iteration of the "Boat Cute" phenomenon.

taxi1

pilot
Just searched on Antarctica here. My dad was in VX-6 when it was at Quonset Point, RI, mid-60s, and not yet VXE-6. Prior to the Hercs, they would lose a plane or two every year. DC-3s and Super Connies and whatever else they had. Amazingly dangerous.

I remember stories about the pararescue team, which my dad said was mainly a drinking club. But they would jump out all over the continent, including setting records for max altitude over the pole.

The cruise books always had lots of pictures of drunk, bearded sailors in them.

Wish I had flown down there.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Speaking of winter and Antarctica, happy Winter Solstice, everybody!

I guess it's a few days late, but still... and I can't believe I missed out on making this joke when the thread was brand new exactly four years ago!