• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Winging Numbers

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Do they still award numbers when you wing? It was around 29000 when I winged in 08, curious what it’s up to now.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Do they still award numbers when you wing? It was around 29000 when I winged in 08, curious what it’s up to now.
Say what? I thought they quit doing that a long time ago. When we winged in 1988, we were not assigned a specific NA number…but we were assigned a specific helo NA number…

424E64B8-911C-4308-824B-95F4AC22D68E.jpeg

jointhelocalizer

pilot
Are USCG Aviators included in that count? I know there is a CG Aviator number and they are referred to as Coast Guard Aviators, but they do earn NA wings.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Yes we still do, and we’re over ~36,200 or so!

Edit: They’re called “R” numbers for those who don’t know.

What does “R” mean? Does it mean “range”? I thought I had seen or read somewhere (maybe it was here at AW) that given your year of winging, a range of numbers was applicable as your NA number…which would not be a specific number but a range of numbers.

kejo

pilot
“R” simply means rotary. For whatever reason the rotary community is the only one that continued issuing and tracking the numbers through the years since rotary aviator #1. NHA has a database where you can look up each one.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Say what? I thought they quit doing that a long time ago. When we winged in 1988, we were not assigned a specific NA number…but we were assigned a specific helo NA number…

View attachment 37195
I’ll say this… you’re a much better archivist than my own mother is with my school projects from 1976, which is saying a lot.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
I’ll say this… you’re a much better archivist than my own mother is with my school projects from 1976, which is saying a lot.

Yeppers…I’m a really, really good archivist…recently, I archived “Old AOCS dude invades the USNA and unsuccessfully attempts to climb the Herndon Monument”…

2E91BC89-D3BA-4746-82EA-D8C0A9EF1E7B.jpeg

8934C777-837D-4ACD-8199-40D4307B743D.jpeg

4AF17A8E-FB13-441C-BC1E-7B13B6809EB1.jpeg