• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Winging ceremony

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNAMOM

How soon is the official winging ceremony usually scheduled after the SNA gets his wings. Trying to make some flight plans!

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
The STUD will get his wings at the winging ceremony. They do not get their wings after their last flight or anything... it happens at the ceremony is a big group.

For helos, there is 2 weeks notice for a absolute, no changes date.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
she means 'soft winging'. some squadrons let their guys wear their flightsuit nametag wings after they finish the program while they sit and wait for their actual winging date. they get the 'hard wings' at the actual ceremony. cool tradition.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
ok, in helo land the difference between soft and hard wings is less than 24 hrs. date is still set a min of 24hrs in advance though.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch said:
ok, in helo land the difference between soft and hard wings is less than 24 hrs. date is still set a min of 24hrs in advance though.

hahahaha, must be nice, i had like 3.5 weeks. not that i didnt enjoy that time off. hello 'Sharkey's'

can't believe I just had a nostalgic moment for 'Sharkey's'

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
was there actually people in sharky's? There was never anyone there when we went (all 3 times)...

Just to clarify... guys finish the syllabus and have time off between their last flight and soft patch. Soft patch just always happens the day b4 the winging ceremony.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch said:
was there actually people in sharky's? There was never anyone there when we went (all 3 times)...

Just to clarify... guys finish the syllabus and have time off between their last flight and soft patch. Soft patch just always happens the day b4 the winging ceremony.

gotcha

yeah WAYYY back...like in 2000...people actually went to the Sharkey's downtown...is it even still open?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
it was 5 mos ago when I was last in Corpus. The place was HUGE, and there were about 15 people in it. I mean, we could barely move around without running into empty tables and chairs. About the only good thing was the bikini bar (oh wait, she was ugly) and the fact that you did not have to wait for the bartender to get you a drink.

Hey SNAMom,
To help answer your question zab1001 is correct.
Your SNA could possibly get his soft wings (patch) once he's completed the program. My husband got his during a wetting down (compliments of the Fire Dept) ceremony immediately following his last flight.
They won't get their "real" gold wings until the actual ceremony, which can vary.
To help family and friends out the class normally will project a cermony date about 2 weeks to a month out. Speaking solely on jet community knowledge.
Not sure what helos offer.
Hope that gives you a better idea.
I would definitely wait until your SNA gets that projected date before making permenant arrangements. As you will learn soon enough, nothing in the Navy is written in stone.
HrntDrvrsWife

Status
Not open for further replies.