• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wingers Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
I would like this thread to be for studs who recently winged who want to provide the rest of us with selection results for Navy and Marines selectors out of advanced. I think it would go a long way toward answering many questions about winging and selection before they arrise. I envision such information as a breakdown of the types of frames possibly some NSS scores, for those who want to share, and duty stations. Thanks to those of you who participate the rest of us will be waiting with baited breath. :icon_wink

FSU-Benihana

For starters, what is the NSS? I imagine it's a test, but specifically, what does it test? What are the usual scores of guys who go Jet, Helo, Prop?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
NSS is Navy Standard Score. For each phase of training they figure an NSS. That will include every graded event from that phase, e.g. API is almost all academics, while primary will include academics and flt grades. Different phases are weighted differently, but the two key chockpoints where it matters are at the end of primary, where it helps decide which pipeline you go--jets, props, or helos; and at the end of advanced, where it helps determine which platform you go to within that community.

The NSS is actually built around a comparison with the last 200 students who completed that phase. 50 is approximately average. The more standard deviations away from the mean you are, either high or low, determine your score. That's speaking generally. That explanation is generally how it was explained to me long ago, but the theory generally remains the same.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Whoops. I didn't mean to be party to a jack!

Wingers, share your stories!

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
Hey no offense but if you aren't a flight student "stud" this probably isn't your thread. By the time you read this stuff and are in a position to make choices based on the information here, things will have changed so much that guys in primary will be flying the Texan (it's the next trainer so don't ask). There are plenty of other forums for DEP'ers and "applicants". Let's get back on the right track yall. I want to hear from you salty wingers and IP's.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I can't imagine that competition is all that heated. Think about it - if you are Navy you will most likely fly an H-60 and if you are a Marine it's either HMM, HMH, or HMLA - none of those three choices stand out as being hyper competitive and all have their down sides.

What do others think?

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
I agree for the Navy and hearing about all the guys who get Cobras as a second or last choice I imagine it probably isn't that competative. But I am going into the HT's with the attitude everybody wants my Cobra slot. I just hope I get a skid guy for an onwing.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is this about Cobras as a last choice? Not to sounds all salty but it used to be if it wasnt your first choice you probably werent getting it. Be an attack pilot it is worth it, ask anyone on the ground in Iraq who they want coming to suppport them and it aint the hornets its cobras and failing that hueys time and time again.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Welcome to the quality spread. It's all just like TBS now. Only the 1st guy is going to get any guarantee of love from here on out.

Towbubba--not too good a chance of getting a skid onwing. HT-18 only has 1 fam IP who was a skid pilot, not counting one of our reservists who is now a LCDR. HT-8 is about the same. Better just hope for a Marine in general. Skid types generally don't like to come to instruct at North or South Fields--guess they are genetically against having fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.