• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Windy Ride Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLAM97to99

Hitting a goose at 185 knots. The pilot was injured but was able to land the aircraft (Beech Baron) safely. No wonder the pilot in command takes the left seat - suspect this was a windy ride home ! - rule is never fly under birds - climb abovr - when frightened they dive...

Attachments

• Goose Mid-Air 1.jpg
    Goose Mid-Air 1.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Goose Mid-Air 2.jpg
    Goose Mid-Air 2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Goose Mid-Air 3.jpg
    Goose Mid-Air 3.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 63

Bevo16

pilot
When I was a student at VT-28 we had a T-34 take a buzzard through the windscreen. Luckily, the instructor (a LT) was getting his formation qualification and was flying with the CO in the back of the aircraft. If you are going to get knocked out by a bird, it's best to have a guy with several thousand hours in the aircraft with you. They did an emergency divert, and the LT woke up on final and started fighting the CO for the controls. They managed to get in on the ground without further damage.

It is amazing that there are not more bird strikes in Corpus than there are. It always seems like there is a group of buzzards at Waldron field, and there are always a million pellicans right off the departure end of the parallel. I had a near miss with about 30 of them when I was on my out on a cross country. There was a flock flying about 50 feet above my flight path, they got scared and dove right past me. I still don't know how we managed to miss all of them.

KSUFLY

pilot
I've seen that picture but heard a different story. I heard it was the landing gear from another aircraft that ripped the top of the fuselage. That's a lot of damage for a bird. Also, you don't see any blood like you would with a bird strike.

Bevo16

pilot
There is a blood trail down the back of the left seat, probably from the pilot. Brids don't bleed much they get hit by aircraft. They just turn into wads of feathery goo. I don't doubt that it was caused by a goose. It's not like it was stripping away the skin of a tank. The skin of those planes are like tin foil.

KSUFLY

pilot
Here's some pics of the deer vs. King Air. I don't think a goose did that much damage to a baron.

Attachments

• dp1.jpg
    dp1.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 23
  • dp2.jpg
    dp2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 22
  • dp3.jpg
    dp3.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 23
  • dp4.jpg
    dp4.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 22

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
That third pic is kinda ironic. Ministry of Health plane painted with blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.