• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Will you fail the vision test if you don't have 20/20 at NAMI?

Zequa

Going to NAMI soon, and was wondering if they will turn you away if you have anything less than 20/20, but better than 20/40? Will they tell you to get a prescription or PRK/LASIK and then come back at a later date? How will they know you're correctable to 20/20? I'm just trying to figure out if it's going to waste time or not. I had a "20/20 on a good day" day at MEPS and can honestly see quite well. But, based on what I have read about the vision test for a flight physical, I may end up with 20/25 or 20/30 in one eye. I have slight astigmatism within the allowable limits, so I'll need some good luck to pass this! Thanks in advance for your responses.

Meyerkord

pilot
I don’t know how they determine if you’re correctable, but they don’t just turn you away if you don’t have 20/20. I work with multiple pilots who wear glasses in the aircraft. It’s no big deal unless there’s some sort of bigger underlying issue that can’t be corrected

jointhelocalizer

pilot
As @Meyerkord said, there are plenty of people who have glasses. You take the eye test and they get you glasses (gold rim creeper glasses) if you need them. There is also a contact lens policy in the waiver guide (you don't need a waiver for contacts.. they just put the policy there). The standards are the standards. If you meet them, you qualify. In my experience, NAMI wants to see you pass since the Navy has already invested a lot of money in you. The Navy wants to see you train. They won't compromise the standard, but they won't turn someone away since they aren't perfect. Heck, they even have waivers to the standards. I have a waiver (not for vision) and plenty of other people have one as well.