• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Will the likelihood of war increase billets

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhollin1

Ok, so unless you’re hiding under a rock you know of the current situation with Iraq. What are your thoughts on us going to war having an effect on an increase in Officer billets/openings?

Pain...is weakness leaving the body

aslam

Good question. I was thinking about that myself, but I don't really have any idea how this works. My guess is that there wouldn't necessarily be any increase since the number of officers & servicemen is capped by congress (my understanding)

ASLAM.

rhollin1

Right, but what if this thing blows up and we end up starting some crazy **it over there. The next thing you know we are in this thing for 5 years. Wouldn't that necessitate having an increased military?

Pain...is weakness leaving the body

Meridiani

As I understand it, the powers that be tend to wait until there is a critical staffing shortage and then quick bring in more people and step up efforts for retention. They end up over-staffing, and then work to get rid of people. This back-and-forth, yo-yo effect has been going on for some time within all branches of the military. So I think it's going to be a while before we see any effect on new officer acsessions as a result of the pending war in Iraq.

That's my 2 cents.
icon_smile_wink.gif

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
There could be a few officer slots open up in the Republican Guard soon...

LUCK = THE INTERSECTION OF PREPARATION AND OPPORTUNITY

ghost_ttu

hehehehe, any volunteers for such slots will be shot.....

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Honestly, this isn't meant to be offend anyone, but it is a little tacky to cross your fingers for war in hopes that your chances of getting selected improve.

LUCK = THE INTERSECTION OF PREPARATION AND OPPORTUNITY

Davey

I know that in the Coast Guard they have been accepting OCS classes of around 50 men and women for the last few years but this year's classes are going to be around 90. They want to bring about 270 new officers into the Coast Guard through OCS per year for 2003, maybe 2004. It's not because of the upcoming conflict in Iraq, but because of the heightened need for security after 9/11.

Go Get 'Em

Status
Not open for further replies.