• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Will my prior service (8 years) affect my new pay rate as a O1E?

cv2000

I was recently accepted in the January PAO Board and wanted to know if my prior service would affect my new pay rate as an Ensign in the Naval Reserve. I was hoping folks had some real insight into this.

I served in the Army Reserves for 8 years and I know those years will carry over as far as Retirment points go. However, I do not know if I will have a higher paygrade because of time in service.

I am not greedy, but the extra cash sure could help. Any info is appreciated.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
If I am reading your post correctly, I think you will be an O-1E over 8, which pays more than a regular O-1 over 0.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
If I am reading your post correctly, I think you will be an O-1E over 8, which pays more than a regular O-1 over 0.

O1E with over 8 years = $3699.30 base pay/month
O1 with 0 years = $2655.30 base pay/month

So....yes, you'll be making about a thousand more per month than a zero-year Ensign.

Lucky you. ;)

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I was recently accepted in the January PAO Board and wanted to know if my prior service would affect my new pay rate as an Ensign in the Naval Reserve. I was hoping folks had some real insight into this.

I served in the Army Reserves for 8 years and I know those years will carry over as far as retirement points go. However, I do not know if I will have a higher pay grade because of time in service.

Congrats!! PAO is an extremely competitive program.

Attached is the current pay chart. Scroll to page 7 for Officer Drill Pay.

You'll not only make more, but also, your 8 years of service will count towards your retirement. Meaning, you can retire with 20 years of service which, for you, means that you can retire in 12 years.

There are other, more seasoned, reservists here who can chime in on the points.

Attachments

• 2009MilitaryPayTables.pdf
    324.8 KB · Views: 31

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not sure how the reserve Voo-Doo time work with respect to pay. Your best option is to speak to someone at DFAS or someone involved with military pay. I have a funny feeling that you will not be entitled to O-1E pay.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Big Biff

Got Em
I did a brief stint working as a disbursing clerk with DFAS. Coming from the Marine side (which I'm sure is the same as the Navy), you are likely to just get paid on the amount of drill periods you have worked. So assuming you strickly drilled for all 8 years with 2 week ATs plus basic would put you a little under 600 days. So you would still be paid at O1E >2. The same works for your retirement points.

*disclaimer*- I have been out of the Disbursing field since 2005 and alot has changed regarding reservists due to the constant beatings with repeated deployments. Definitely best to call a navy disbo clerk or whatever they call themselves merged with personel.

If you have time to wade through this beast, I'm sure it has the updated info. Its everything you ever wanted to know about active/reserve pay in the navy/marines and has hyperlinks to speed your search.

Check Chapter 1 page 10 through 12

http://www.defenselink.mil/comptroller/fmr/07a/07a_01.pdfhttp://www.defenselink.mil/comptroller/fmr/07a/

phrogpilot73

You will not get O-1E. In order to qualify for O-1E pay, you must have four years as active duty enlisted. You will be O-1 > something however, so that will help.

cv2000

I guess it was a good question.
The responses posted are pretty varied.
I do know that my points total 8 years of service even though we only do the one weekend a month 2 weeks a year bit. I was deployed for 18 months for OIF/OEF, not sure if that has any bearing on the 8 years counting or not.
I do appreciate the input, I will accept more if you have it.
I assume the link will give me info on contacting DFAS. Thanks, this site has been awesome.

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
Drill reserve time do not count towards your O-1E pay status. However, cumulative time deployed in an active status does count, i.e. – 1 year deployed in ’05, plus 6 months deployed in ’06 would give you 1.5 years of active time. If you were active 2.5 years else where in your career then you could be classed as an O-1E > whatever. So, find your documented active time and try to add them all up and see what you end up with. If its less the 4 years, then your SOL. If its over 4, then luck you.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
After review, I have to retract my original answer. I didn't read it close enough to see that you had been prior Army Reserve, my apologies.

cv2000

I have to admit I have no idea what O-1E is. Pay grade for an Ensign is just O-1 correct? My recruiter said I would be O-1E with 12 years until retirement.
I do not have 4 years of accumulated Active so I may be SOL.

phrogpilot73

O-1 and O-1E are both Ensigns, the only difference is that O-1E's pay scale doesn't max out as early as O-1s in deference to their prior-enlisted time. The good deal stops at O-3E, and every LCDR is just an O-4.

A10DCC

Pro-Rec SNA
since nobody here has really hit the nail on the head. You mus have 1460 points to get OE pay, you can get those points however you want. Active, drill, does not matter.

A10DCC

Pro-Rec SNA
And as long as you have "8 good years of service" you will get pay for over 8 years. A good year just means you completed all of your weekends of drill and at least two weeks active duty time.

cv2000

I do believe I have 8 good years. I only missed one AT in2002 when I had knee surgery and the CO did not let me make it up.
Does anyone know if my COMDOCS will/should state all of this? I would hate to sign something that does not guarantee me what I am entitled to.
Thanks for all the info.