• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Will my doctor be ok with this? and will this fly with the MEPS doctors?

Nicholas Schemm

Ok so i want to join the air national guard. I sent in some files into MEPS about a surgery that i had. It stated that i had GERD and was taking zantac. This is a big problem when getting into the military. I didnt know this before. Anyways so i was diagnosed with GERD around a year ago but it was kind of a stupid diagnosis. I have no heartburn. I would like for the doctor to type up a note saying that i came in with some light heart burn and he wanted me to try out some zantac. I tired zantac for less than a month then quit since my heart burn had stopped. (that is basically what happened) would the doctor be ok with that? i mean its kinda going against his diagnosis. (even though he was just guessing and didnt really do any tests) and would that give me a pass to get into the military? Oh and would he be able to do any tests that day to show i dont have it? (should i even get those tests? would they be very beneficial to my case?) PS im just going to say this now. I am NOT asking the doctor to lie. I just want him to say what happened.i dont want a small case of heart burn ruin my chances of getting into the military. That would be absurd. I swim a few miles a week, run, work out, eat normally. I think I am perfectly qualified. People with experience would be nice. thanks :)

BTW They know i have GERD because it said i did in some medical files i had sent to them. They asked for medical history papers so i sent one about a surgery i had. It stated the medicine i was taking and what the medicine was for. They then asked for papers that show my history of GERD (they didn't DQ me yet) and if i cant get that then get a note from my physician explaining about my GERD treatment. (i would much rather get a note from my physician since the medical history files are a little blown out of proportion) Sorry if this is so long but thanks for reading. ANG IS MY DREAM SO PLEASE HELP!!!

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Check your PMs. For all you others, do not eff around with GERD. In the Navy, a GERD waiver is near automatic, assuming the meds take care of the acid. I bet ANG is the same.

Google two terms and you will see why you should not goof around with GERD. You don't want hearburn to ruin your chances of getting in to the military and flying?? I don't blame you. Do a search for the following terms and you will see why you should never ignore any lingering hearburn symptoms.

Barrett's Esophagus
Esophageal Cancer

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Seconding what feddoc said - esophageal cancer took my grandfather. He went from being a larger than life dude to a gaunt cancer patient in the span of a month. Do NOT fuck around with GERD, get that stuff taken care of.

yakboyslim

None
I got a GERD waiver pretty darn easy, though mine was just because I was prescribed Nexium for something else (not ever diagnosed with GERD) so it is a slightly different deal.

Since you were actually diagnosed something I would go to your doctor and see what actually needs to be done. If you can be taken off the medicine - good, if not then take it and see about getting the waiver. I've also heard that GERD waivers are relatively easy to get (Mine was. One letter from a doctor to fully explain my situation and I was good to go.) I know it is hard to hear, but your health should always come first over trying to get in so figure out your treatment (or lack of, if you are actually asymptomatic) and work from there with the waiver.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The OP wants to go ANG. He asks a serious medical question on a Naval Aviation forum and in less than 12 hours gets an authoritative answer. In the process, the rest of us benefit from important health advice. You wannabes, of all inclinations, are lucky to have Air Warriors as a resource. AW is lucky to have feddoc contributing. Thanks Doc!

Nicholas Schemm

I couldn't find a place with any good advice from people with personal experience. This seemed like a good place to ask. Does it matter where you get advice? And how are we wannabes?

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Well, in the simplest terms, we are wannabes because we don't have our wings yet. That would be step 17 on the path to no longer being a wannabe.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I couldn't find a place with any good advice from people with personal experience. This seemed like a good place to ask.
You were right. Air Warriors is the best place.
Does it matter where you get advice?
No. But this is a Navy focused forum. Guys from other services can get ragged, but serious questions will be given serious consideration. And as it happens, the most thoughtful, experienced guys from the other services participating in a web forum can be found here anyway.