• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Will enlisted Intel experience boost BDCP package

pchen

Does enlisted Intel experience boost BDCP package

I've decided to defer my studies for a semester and enlisting in the Navy reserves as an IS (9 wk Boot camp+'A' school), MEPS scheduled for next Mon. One question, if I intend to apply to BDCP for an intel slot in the next couple of years, will my IS experience boost my package, or will it hinder it instead (Will they want someone with others skills such as a prior CT or even MA so they don't end up 're-training' me after OCS) Any advice will be appreciated!

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Do it because you want to, not because you think it'll make a stronger case for BDCP. A lot of prior enlsited don't do something related to their rate, so they're going to be "retrained anyway."

Is there a reason you're delaying your studies? I would think staying in school and applying would be your best shot.

pchen

Thisguy said:
Do it because you want to, not because you think it'll make a stronger case for BDCP. A lot of prior enlsited don't do something related to their rate, so they're going to be "retrained anyway."

Good advice, my recruiter gave me the same response. I've decided to go for the MA rate, which is what I really want to do.

Thisguy said:
Is there a reason you're delaying your studies? I would think staying in school and applying would be your best shot.

I've been in college on and off for four years so far, I think going to boot camp+MA school will be a positive experience, especially since i'm majoring in Criminal Justice, I can finally apply some of the theories I learned in the textbooks to real life situations.

Oh and did I not mention the enlistment bonus that the Navy Reserves is offering right now for Non-Prior Service members? 20k for any rate you choose! That's on top of base pay and all the other benefits you get. I could always do summer school after I get back and catch up with the credit hours..

bluemarlin04

pchen said:
Good advice, my recruiter gave me the same response. I've decided to go for the MA rate, which is what I really want to do.

I've been in college on and off for four years so far, I think going to boot camp+MA school will be a positive experience, especially since i'm majoring in Criminal Justice, I can finally apply some of the theories I learned in the textbooks to real life situations.

Oh and did I not mention the enlistment bonus that the Navy Reserves is offering right now for Non-Prior Service members? 20k for any rate you choose! That's on top of base pay and all the other benefits you get. I could always do summer school after I get back and catch up with the credit hours..
no way you got 20000 dollar bonus. Is it in you contract? did you go to meps yet and even get a rate beside what your recruiter told you. I signed for the same program you are going as aircrew and got 10000 dollars. Ileave in may, if you did get 20000 you are a lucky man.

pchen

bluemarlin04 said:
no way you got 20000 dollar bonus. Is it in you contract? did you go to meps yet and even get a rate beside what your recruiter told you. I signed for the same program you are going as aircrew and got 10000 dollars. Ileave in may, if you did get 20000 you are a lucky man.

I'm sorry that you already signed your papers and missed the deal, it just came out few weeks ago. No, I have not gone to MEPS yet, scheduled for next Mon. But yes, the USNR is offering a non-prior-service enlistment bonus of 20k for all ratings. Catch is no more 17 day boot camp, we have to do the full 9 week immediately followed by A school before being released to our reserve units, which IMO is splendid i'd rather do the 9 wk and get all my training done in one go, so i'm fully functional when I get back, or should i say, fully 'deployable' LOL

Oh and if you really need to see it for yourself, here's the posting for the 20k bonus among other info, straight off the navy reserve website:
http://navyreserve.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/9150FFBE-D9BF-48EE-90C2-9051BACB2DA4/124445/incentives06.doc

Abstract:
3/20/06: New Reserve Bonuses & Benefits

a. Recruiting enlistment bonuses.
(1) Non-prior service (NPS) basic bonus. 6-year contract =
$20,000 (lump sum)

b. Non-prior service (NPS) basic program enlistment bonus.
(1) All basic eligibility criteria contained in Ref D
remains in effect.
(2) Maximum bonus amount is increased to $20,000 for a
six-year enlistment.
(3) All individuals affiliating via the NPS Basic Program,
regardless of rating, are currently eligible for this bonus.

bluemarlin04

pchen said:
I'm sorry that you already signed your papers and missed the deal, it just came out few weeks ago. No, I have not gone to MEPS yet, scheduled for next Mon. But yes, the USNR is offering a non-prior-service enlistment bonus of 20k for all ratings. Catch is no more 17 day boot camp, we have to do the full 9 week immediately followed by A school before being released to our reserve units, which IMO is splendid i'd rather do the 9 wk and get all my training done in one go, so i'm fully functional when I get back, or should i say, fully 'deployable' LOL

Oh and if you really need to see it for yourself, here's the posting for the 20k bonus among other info, straight off the navy reserve website:
http://navyreserve.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/9150FFBE-D9BF-48EE-90C2-9051BACB2DA4/124445/incentives06.doc

Abstract:
3/20/06: New Reserve Bonuses & Benefits

a. Recruiting enlistment bonuses.
(1) Non-prior service (NPS) basic bonus. 6-year contract =
$20,000 (lump sum)

b. Non-prior service (NPS) basic program enlistment bonus.
(1) All basic eligibility criteria contained in Ref D
remains in effect.
(2) Maximum bonus amount is increased to $20,000 for a
six-year enlistment.
(3) All individuals affiliating via the NPS Basic Program,
regardless of rating, are currently eligible for this bonus.
there is your problem, it says maximum. Just because it is the maximum doesnt mean theyll give you the max. If you do get it that is pretty sick. I wish I got it. Good luck at meps, it such a boring ass day.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
pchen said:
fully 'deployable' LOL.

LOL, yeah your 20K bonus probably comes with an invitation (aka recall) to active duty and a 1 year deployment. I believe the Navy needs MA's right now.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HH-60H said:
I believe the Navy needs MA's right now.

That is why he will get the 20K. Aircrew is a glamour job. It is easier to get guys to go aircrew so why give them the max. You want 20K then drop the aircrew option. They need MAs so that is where the money is. Are you guys just looking for a reason the sh!t on someone. Can't you see the basic economic principles here? Go down to MEPs and talk to any classifier about the reserves or active duty. There are dozens of bonus programs for the various rates and contract options. And they do change frequently, sometimes weekly.