• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Will a B.Eng in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited Canadian university, have any affects on commissioning?

rr-10

I spoke to a recruiter via email about this and they said that the degree had to be "US equivalent". I told him that it's accredited by CEAB & mutually recognized by ABET: https://www.abet.org/global-presence/mutual-recognition-agreements/ . I will also look to pick up a MSc in ME at Purdue or Columbia U, and have a recruiter submit my package for OCS at 24/25 when I am 1 year from obtaining my masters. Will this Canadian bachelors require a waiver?

Also, a second question I had was: is there any way to list Naval Aviation as the only job you would like to apply for when speaking to a recruiter and having them submit your package? I got a lot of mixed responses about this, and some people say that you can and some say you can't. I'm fine with rejection the first few times for some boards and re-applying, but if I get selected for another job and I reject it, that would disqualify me forever.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I spoke to a recruiter via email about this and they said that the degree had to be "US equivalent". I told him that it's accredited by CEAB & mutually recognized by ABET: https://www.abet.org/global-presence/mutual-recognition-agreements/ . I will also look to pick up a MSc in ME at Purdue or Columbia U, and have a recruiter submit my package for OCS at 24/25 when I am 1 year from obtaining my masters. Will this Canadian bachelors require a waiver?

Also, a second question I had was: is there any way to list Naval Aviation as the only job you would like to apply for when speaking to a recruiter and having them submit your package? I got a lot of mixed responses about this, and some people say that you can and some say you can't. I'm fine with rejection the first few times for some boards and re-applying, but if I get selected for another job and I reject it, that would disqualify me forever.
Isn't there a metric to US conversion factor for degrees?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Try looking for a foreign education credential evaluation. There are a few places that do that... it's kind of a pay-to-play and a borderline scam (no pun intended), but there should be at least one or two that the recruiting command should recognize. On my recruiter's suggestion, I used a company called "World Education Services," filled out a form, sent them my transcripts and some money. They had about a one or two week turnaround and they mailed a course-by-course report to the recruiter's office plus a few copies to me. The report was about five pages long and it said my B.Eng. in mechanical engineering is equivalent to a BSME. I'm sure it must have been an intense ten minutes or so for them to create that report... anyhoo. No waiver required, just that report.

Now, that was more than twenty years ago so maybe some details have changed; I also sent the Naval War College a copy of that report a little more than ten years ago and they were happy to use that as a basis to admit me into one of their grad programs.

Your recruiter should be able to look up how to this the "Navy way" and have all the paperwork squared away for the board, but an unwritten part of how your relationship between you and your officer recruiter is that you do a lot of the legwork. You're already working under that impression, which is a good thing. Officer recruiters sometimes get a surprising number of flakey people contacting them with fleeting dreams of some exciting career. Even if it seems like you are calling the recruiter for updates more than they are calling you, rest assured you're probably fine- persistent people sort of self-screen in this case.

For filling out all three choices on that form vs only one or two, lots of people have asked that question on this forum and there are lots of answers out there. Basically just don't ask for something you don't want. Lots of people on here wrote only one choice on there and they got picked up for that for that one thing.

benderMI

Canadian here, when I enlisted (USAF) in 2013 I used ECE to translate my high school diploma and college credits to U.S standards for the purpose of military service. From what I gathered at the time ECE was the standard for foreign educational evaluations, albeit pricey.

https://www.ece.org/ECE