• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why....

Want2flyNow

I said over-easy!!!!!!
Also, if the F-14 and its parts become obsolete, will AMARG still chop the planes? If they do they should just raffle em off, il make room ikn my garage.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, if the F-14 and its parts become obsolete, will AMARG still chop the planes? If they do they should just raffle em off, il make room ikn my garage.

As long as Iran is still trying to keep its Tomcats flying by using black market parts, AMARG will be chopping up Tomcats.

Tactical387

As long as Iran is still trying to keep its Tomcats flying by using black market parts, AMARG will be chopping up Tomcats.

Actually I thought the same thing but I came across an article recently about this exact thing. I assumed that it was a diplomatic situation and that the US would continue to sell to other nations, which would in turn be sold back to Iran, but apparently the gov. is taking it pretty seriously. Be advised, I cringed a little when I read this http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/07/02/america/NA-GEN-US-Shredding-Fighter-Jets.php

-also, I am pretty sure that the government will often times use obsolete jet parts in newer jets for repairs. I heard a statistic that the average F-18 is now something like 80 percent original f-18 parts and 20 percent decomissioned jet parts, like the f-4, A-7, F-8, and whatever other ones. I couldn't find any literature about that though so idk... can anyone confirm or refute this?

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
-also, I am pretty sure that the government will often times use obsolete jet parts in newer jets for repairs. I heard a statistic that the average F-18 is now something like 80 percent original f-18 parts and 20 percent decomissioned jet parts, like the f-4, A-7, F-8, and whatever other ones. I couldn't find any literature about that though so idk... can anyone confirm or refute this?

Stop getting Naval aviation stats from your Starbucks barrista. You won't find any stats like you mentioned in any literature because it's NOT TRUE. Yes, there are _some_ parts that sometimes migrate among airframes, such as F-8 nose landing gear axles that were used on A-7's. Or F-14 JTIDS receivers that were used on E-2's. But that population of equipment is very small. Typically, the only source of hard to get items for a Type/Model/Series is from another BuNo in the same series that's been damaged and stricken--and only after the aircraft is released by the AMB and the assets have been certified by engineers as being safe for re-use.