• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why would eye surgery.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

x-wing

I wear glasses i have - 1.25 in one eye and -1.50 on the other
banghead_125.gif
. I'm a sophmore in highschool and i'm in the middle of getting my private pilot license. I was wondering why on the ROTC it says eye correction surgery may cause disqualification? I would imagine your eye sight would be near to perfect if not perfect,after that surgery. Would already having a private license give me some brownie points when applying??? I've always been i nterested in the military and i love flying so I would not care what kind of aircraft they put me in. With the upcoming war on Iraq do you guys belive more slots will be opening?

I got a cat the other day.....had to swerve to get it buti got it

WFU2USN

X-wing,

I would just wait on the surgery since your vision isn't that bad until after your are actively enrolled in ROTC and then talk to your unit. The military only accepts certain types of vision correction - PRK - due to the method used to correct. I know there are some more detailed posts on here about this so take a look around.

Good luck!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
x-wing,
I agree with WFU2USN. Wait to get eye surgery until your eyes have stabilized. Most people's eyes change between the ages of 18-22. If you get surgery before your eyes are done changing, then the surgery is all for not. Yes, surgery may be disqualifying because in life there are NO GAURANTEES. If you receive a scholarship and then get eye surgery and your eyes are not 20/20 correctable, then you will not get your commission. Bottom line is to seek counseling from an Officer recruiter or a NROTC instructor before you make any surgery descisions. Good luck!
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Good call ea6bflyr. I'm hoping that everything will work out for me where I can get PRK between TBS and API. What's the wait on that? Anyone know? Semper FI.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
-Col.3:23-

Status
Not open for further replies.