• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why such long waits for OCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhightower

I am just curious to know why there are such long waits to get in. I have just completed my application process so I am in the waiting game, which I have been told will be no sooner than October/November, if lucky. I fully understand that there have been more people wanting to serve their country, and the bad economy making the military look more promissing, but why. I would think with all the stuff going on around the world that our military would be growing now. We will crush Iraq, then it is looking like we will have to move over and do the same to North Korea. I am just wondering if anyone has any insight for me.

WFU2USN

rhightower,

It's largely because retention has been very high - around 70% - and there have been a lot of applicants given the state of the economy.

Hope that helps!

Good luck!

Robin

Meridiani

The reason that the waiting period is long is because the OCS slots for fiscal year 2003 have been filled. People who are getting OCS slots at this time won't be going until fiscal year 2004, which starts October 1, 2003. Military spending is set to increase, but that won't necessarily affect OCS accessions. Congress sets a cap on the number of officers in the military. In other words officers leaving = number of new officer positions available, unless Congress decides to change the cap on the number of officers. Because of the troubled economy and the heightened sense of patriotism since 9/11, the number of officers leaving the military has gone done. Most officers are brought into the military via the Academies or ROTC, with the remaining needs being met by OCS. So, it's just simple math. The number of officers required is smaller, most of those needs are met through ROTC, so the number of OCS slots is small. Because of the increased interest in the military these days, competition for those few OCS slots has become astromical. Make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.