• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why SNA/SNFO standards so high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I'm not trying to act stupid about what I'm about to talk about it's just something that I've seen somewhat unclear. Why are the physical standards on aviators (be it sna's or snfo's) so extreme. I know that these select individuals get to fly some of the newest, high-tech, and most state of the art equipment, but I'm not real sure why the physical standards are so high.

I mean obviously I understand the vision one. You need good eyes to see, but this stuff that I read about peoples arms being to long/short, or better yet your torso being so many inches tall? What's the deal with that? I mean would the government actually finance a multi million dollar machine with extremes as to how long your arms are? I was thinking that some of these things could be because of the stresses on your body? I dont know. That's why I'm asking.

In no way am I being stubborn or ignorant. It just caught me the other day that there are some of the smallest things out there that can DQ one from flight school.

My question to you experienced guys out there is what's the reasons for this? I know that the military wants nothing but the best to fly these highly technical but at the same time highly dangerous machines. Just a little confused on some the stuff. Thanks.

Semper FI

farkle84

you have to have certain measurement for certain cockpits, you cant be too tall. and it could effect performance as well as ejection.

davidsin

yeah the doc told me that if your arms aren't long enough you may not reach the ejection in some jets, so you'll be placed in a helo. Also, when your body is experiencing some extreme g's, oxygen can get blocked from going to the brain even with the flight suit on, and you'll be in a world of you know what. So they make sure your heart is good by checking you with that ekg test, and x-raying your chest. Also, they check if you got lasik because that procedure requires a thin layer of your eye to be sliced off then placed back. It's not good for flying becuase enough g's can rip the layer right off from what I hear, so they take prk procedures only. PRK shaves off the layer, and it's gone.

semper fi

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
So your arms have to be long enough to reach the ejection handle, but your legs can't be too long or they'll get ripped off when you eject. Basically, the ideal aviation candidate, from an anthro standpoint, resembles a short, long-armed, knuckle-dragging ape.

"Peace on earth to men of goodwill. All others stand by."

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
could anyone post some insight as to the actual anthros tests? how do they measure everything? details are welcome :)

Hudson

They measured me sitting down. They look at the length of your body, upper leg, lower leg, arms. I believe that is it. I am not sure what the standards are. I am 6'1" and my heigth is all in my legs so if that helps diminish you fears I made it.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
I was wondering if you could provide more detail... they measured your lower leg from what point? etc.. thanks

Hudson

Where the back of your butt hits the back of the chair to your knee, From your knee to the floor and the rest seemed to be like getting fitted for a suit.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
do they use a measuring tape from the back of the wall to your knee? And what part of your knee.. do they curve the tape around to the front?

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Hudson same here... I'm 6'1, pretty long legs I only made the cutoff for leg length by 2 or 3 inches.

Crowbar

None
Copied verbatim from NOMI website...

ANTHROS
All aircrew applicants must meet standards to be considered for ejection seat aircraft. (SH: 32-41"; FR: 28" min; BKL: 21.9-28"; BLL: 36-50") Waivers will be considered for SNFO applicants who are below standards for BKL ONLY. Otherwise, waivers will not be considered for officer applicants who are outside the standards for anthros. Enlisted applicant aircrew who are outside the standard for anthros can be considered for a waiver to non-ejection seat aircraft only (Navy) or found PQ for non-ejection seat aircraft (Marine).

ANTHROS
Required for applicants. No Waivers.

Sitting Height (SH) 32-41 in.
Functional Reach (FR) 28 in. or more
Buttock Knee Length (BKL) 21.9-28 in.
Buttock Leg Length (BLL) 36-50 in.
BKL is the most critical measurement. If member does not meet anthro standards on initial measurement he must be retested three times by the AVT and the flight surgeon. Please pay attention--these are frequently missed by
examiners!
HEIGHT
Navy: 62" to 78" (M); 58" to 78" (F) for Commissioning in URL.
USMC: Minimum 66" (M) and 58" (F) for Commissioning.

Daedalus

Esday: "Basically, the ideal aviation candidate, from an anthro standpoint, resembles a short, long-armed, knuckle-dragging ape"

HAHA about the best i've heard all week, the body of an ape and the mind of Oppenheimer

Status
Not open for further replies.