• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why it's great to be in Naval Aviation (a.k.a, I flew a B-52 today)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I hesitate to pass along "there I was stories" but this one is too good to pass up. Where I'm deployed at now I have the chance to work a lot with various different units. One just so happens to be a B-52 unit, and yesterday I got to fly a 5.2 hour flight with them, and a good 2.0 of that was in the right seat hand-flying the jet at 30,000 feet. Not bad for a helo bubba that rarely goes over 500 feet

Just a little something for new guys to keep in mind, flight school sucks and sometimes the squadron does too. There are times that Naval Aviation will take you places that you meet some pretty cool folks and get unique opportunities, and yesterday was a once in a lifetime shot that wouldn't have happened if I wasn't a Navy pilot (ironically it was an Air Force jet).

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Could you operate the collective from the right seat?;) Sounds like an awesome experience for a Navy type, that's a big MoFo!:cool:
BzB

If you love to fly different aircraft, get into test pilot school. For example in recent classes some fixed wing students have flown the B-25, Mig 15, SNJ, T-28, F-16, F-18, Helos , Gliders, tail draggers and foreign aircraft. In addition you also fly the training aircraft T-38 and T-6.
The only downside to all this fun is you have to write long winded technical reports and study your ass off.
Ah, but the memories are still good!

jtmedli

pilot
If you love to fly different aircraft, get into test pilot school. For example in recent classes some fixed wing students have flown the B-25, Mig 15, SNJ, T-28, F-16, F-18, Helos , Gliders, tail draggers and foreign aircraft. In addition you also fly the training aircraft T-38 and T-6.
The only downside to all this fun is you have to write long winded technical reports and study your ass off.

If only we could all be accepted to TPS...

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bulldog, sounds like you may have been a Navy TP? What years at TPS Pax?:)
BzB

Pags

N/A
pilot
Eight hours of class, eight hours of briefing and flying, and eight hours of report writing a day.....you'll be sorry!

IBB, definitely a cool opportunity. Hope you added it to the logbook. And at least daydreamed about wearing a cowboy hat and protecting your vital fluids
0000gghjdjsjdjdjd-2.jpeg

jmcquate

Contributor
Don't forget to enter OPE into the CRM-114............or bad things could happen.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I hesitate to pass along "there I was stories" but this one is too good to pass up. Where I'm deployed at now I have the chance to work a lot with various different units. One just so happens to be a B-52 unit, and yesterday I got to fly a 5.2 hour flight with them, and a good 2.0 of that was in the right seat hand-flying the jet at 30,000 feet. Not bad for a helo bubba that rarely goes over 500 feet

Just a little something for new guys to keep in mind, flight school sucks and sometimes the squadron does too. There are times that Naval Aviation will take you places that you meet some pretty cool folks and get unique opportunities, and yesterday was a once in a lifetime shot that wouldn't have happened if I wasn't a Navy pilot (ironically it was an Air Force jet).

That's really cool. Last time we were ferrying jets to AWF, I flew over a cell of 3 of them in Utah, and it was pretty unexpected.....in terms of what that beast looks like from the air. It took me probably 10 miles (from 15 miles where I saw them to 5) to actually figure out what it was.....looked like a giant flying stick with weird wings that resembled nothing I had ever seen before. Probably the most prolific aircraft of our lifetimes, at least for those of us that grew up during (and I'm sure the 1960's men will argue with this statement) the very coldest years of the cold war.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
....at least for those of us that grew up during (and I'm sure the 1960's men will argue with this statement) the very coldest years of the cold war.
Very perceptive... did an epic ROFL on that one!:eek:
BzB

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After a big mid sea exercise we had two Buffs fly by Ranger at flight deck height in a pretty damn tight formation. Very impressive at that altitude and so tight.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Very perceptive... did an epic ROFL on that one!:eek:
BzB

Mainly referring to the early 1980's, prior to the last couple years/etc. I'd imagine a case could be built for the Missile Crisis being the coldest point, but I'd think Reagan's first term, KAL 007, MX, Pershing II, etc might have been a more consistently dangerous time. I'm not a historian by any means though :)

brownshoe

Contributor
That's really cool. Last time we were ferrying jets to AWF, I flew over a cell of 3 of them in Utah, and it was pretty unexpected.....in terms of what that beast looks like from the air. It took me probably 10 miles (from 15 miles where I saw them to 5) to actually figure out what it was.....looked like a giant flying stick with weird wings that resembled nothing I had ever seen before. Probably the most prolific aircraft of our lifetimes, at least for those of us that grew up during (and I'm sure the 1960's men will argue with this statement) the very coldest years of the cold war.

Mainly referring to the early 1980's, prior to the last couple years/etc. I'd imagine a case could be built for the Missile Crisis being the coldest point, but I'd think Reagan's first term, KAL 007, MX, Pershing II, etc might have been a more consistently dangerous time. I'm not a historian by any means though :)

Yup I lived through the "bomb shelter in your backyard panic" and also the "duck and cover your neck drills" in school growing up (as if that would actually protect you;)). Then of all places to be stationed after enlistment and "A" school.... Cecil Field! Alerts? Shit, you have no idea... total air wing recalls all the time (yawn :)).

Last edited: