• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why is the Tacamo Wing at Tinker?

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Bored Summer post, but does anyone know the structural/defense & economic reasons why all the Navy's E-6B's are based at Tinker?? Looks like Tinker is a "MAC" logistics center and has a reserve KC-135 squadron or wing there. Otherwise, the only apparent reason to be there is that it's halfway between the 2 coasts. Surely there's more than that to this story. Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

I mean, it must really suck to be Navy & get stuck in BF Oklahoma w/ AF logistics & tanker types.

Renegade One

None
Could it be that there was politics involved? But that's also where "Tinker Burgers" are made...whcih is nice...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd guess it's a proximity to STRATCOM thing. Were the EC-130's there BITD?

That is exactly why. Used to be the E-6 AWACS and even the 747 flying command post was based there. I believe the MBA types called it synergy. Later MBA types came along and failed to see the logic in it and moved those operational assests elsewhere.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
That is exactly why. Used to be the E-6 AWACS and even the 747 flying command post was based there. I believe the MBA types called it synergy. Later MBA types came along and failed to see the logic in it and moved those operational assests elsewhere.

Back in the real day, Tacamo was based at Pax River (FWIW). Actually, it originally was part of VR-1, and when they spun Tacamo out of VR-1, it was moved from NAS Norva to Pax River.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it has a lot to do with having them all in one place and the ability to support both coasts more easily. Since it is the only plane of it's type in the Navy to have them in one place eases a lot of things when it comes to maintenance and training. And since they deploy out of locations on both coasts it makes sense to put them in the middle, and even more sense to do so at a base that a lot of similar aircraft, even if they are zoomies.

Back in the real day, Tacamo was based at Pax River (FWIW). Actually, it originally was part of VR-1, and when they spun Tacamo out of VR-1, it was moved from NAS Norva to Pax River.

I believe Pax is still one of their 'permanent' det sites.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I think it has a lot to do with having them all in one place and the ability to support both coasts more easily. Since it is the only plane of it's type in the Navy to have them in one place eases a lot of things when it comes to maintenance and training. And since they deploy out of locations on both coasts it makes sense to put them in the middle, and even more sense to do so at a base that a lot of similar aircraft, even if they are zoomies.

It is....and God help you if you slow down or stop taxiing next to their duty apron...they have a couple MAs w/ automatic rifles to encourage you to keep going.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I mean, it must really suck to be Navy & get stuck in BF Oklahoma w/ AF logistics & tanker types.

You would be surprised. It is Oklahoma but it is a major city. Being the Navy guys around the Air Force is comical at times. We didn't care about them and that bothered them. FWIW, the Navy has its own part of the base and you never really interacted unless you wanted too. FAX your DD175, remote weather, etc. It was a short drive to AAFES and the Navy facilities were top notch...in my travels I found only the command/training spaces at a sub (boomer) base to be better.

But that's also where "Tinker Burgers" are made...whcih is nice...

Sorry, I have had the burger you speak of...it is long gone. Last I looked the snack bar/restaurant where they were made has been repurposed.

Bingo!!! The Navy was looking to co-locate the squadrons and the FRS for logistical reasons. Having squadrons at Barbers Point and Pax River with the E-6 training being conducted in Waco was a nightmare. The original rumor was that Oklahoma lobbied pretty hard to bring in the E-6s to Tinker to keep Tinker off the BRAC list. BRACs like joint bases (for the most part).

E-6s Det out of Travis, Offutt, and Pax.

...and yes, cross the Air Force-like security line and you will remember the response...the MAs will be the least of your worries.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Sorry, I have had the burger you speak of...it is long gone. Last I looked the snack bar/restaurant where they were made has been repurposed.

No more Tinker-burgers? :eek: That may not be the saddest thing I ever heard, but it's definitely the saddest thing I heard today.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
E-6s Det out of Travis, Offutt, and Pax.

And for many moons, they did their time in a Det out of Iraq (different primary mission though), but that ceased to be a commitment in May timeframe.

IRfly

None
Also saw at least one other Middle East det, not in Iraq. Hard to miss those guys...