• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why I fly what I fly...

S3Dude

pilot
OCS, API and Primary were pretty much a blur. Didn't know much about the military, navy or naval aviation. Needless to say the information that I based my "choices" on was mostly rumors and hearsay. I felt pretty fortunate to select Kingsville on my way out the door from Primary and was happy to move the 45 miles down the road. Advanced went by just about as fast, had a good time for the most part. Was pretty much middle of the road as far as grades go. Selected S-3's and was pretty bummed.

However, the first time I drove across the Coronado Bridge on my way to Pacific Beach in the spring time I knew things weren't so bad. And once I got into the community and the aircraft I was truly happy that things had worked out the way they did. As my first shore tour was winding down it was time to start thinking about what's next. Slightly different decision than my buds in the airwing were making as mine had to do with taking a transition (and possibility for DH and a future in the 1310 community) or decline a transition and look for gainful employment elsewhere.

This was probably the most difficult decision I've made, ever. Mostly because it was the first time that I really put full effort into getting every bit of info that I could. Anyway, decided that Prowlers was the right choice for me for many, many reasons. Interestingly this decision was based more on lifestyle, location, promotion possibilities, etc. (as well as aircraft and mission) whereas everything up to this point was just platform.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
OCS, API and Primary were pretty much a blur. Didn't know much about the military, navy or naval aviation. Needless to say the information that I based my "choices" on was mostly rumors and hearsay..

That's exactly why I started this forum.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I started API after having had 1200+ hours as an Aircrewman in P-3s (mostly) and SH-60Bs and figured I go back to what was familiar - the P-3. Something clicked in me during API when I talked with a Marine ECMO and I decided the Prowlers were the platform for me. Once in VT-86, I was really turned off by the smug attitude of most of the fighter types and it only reinforced my decision. Even though I had about 10 years in by the time I got to Whidbey, I knew very little about what the jet actually did. I think it hit me in the RAG on my first backseat flight, which was pretty much THE rock star low level through the Cascades (VR-1355). Fast forward a few years. If you're an NFO, you really can't do better from a community perspective than the Prowler. We talk about being an "ECMO-centric" community, where the NFOs are really the key players. I've heard bad things about the F-14 RIOs being the 2nd class citizens, and that's not how it's done in VAQ. The Prowler has been a great platform and the future is bright with the EA-18G coming online in the next couple years.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
//Flash, When were you in P-cola the 2nd time around? 2000? 2001? There was a Cid Grad in VT-4 there around that time that did what you did//

Transitioning is a risky move, my career is uncertain...not that it matters if you enjoy what you do...but I certainly understand why a lot of NFOs don't put in for transitions be it jets, nfo-pilot or others: because there is a fear that you might get it and uproot what you have built (I think).

I was in Pensacola from Nov 2000 to June 2001. I was in VT-10 for a short time, just T-39's, before doing the whole syllabus at VT-86. I was aware of only one other guy who went through right before me, summer of 2000, and I think he only did VT-86.

As for the transition being a risky move and being tough starting over in a new community, that is definitely true. It is tough to start at the bottom again when you were at the top in your old community. I has been worth it for me though.

RetreadRand said:
//The Navy does have a lot to offer. you can sit back and let stuff happen to you and hate the navy, or you can sack up, find what is out there and go for it: be it education, designations, advancement...too many guys sit back and hate the navy but they don't try to even learn what is there

End rant.

Very wise words. I had numerous guys come up and tell me they would love to transition, or had the grades to go jets but there was a P-3 draft, or some other thing.......well, make what you can of what you get and if you want to do something different later on go ahead and ask, you might be suprised at what their answer is, I sure as hell was.....;)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I was along the same lines as bunk, although I came in much later and am still much better looking. I wanted jets, and was assured by most of the IPs in VT-2 that it was

Hey, bald is beautiful :p You need to go instruct in T-45's after this, at least that would be my recommendation for you. That's probably my only issue with flying the COD's is that I didn't get a break between tours. Meaning get a chance to fly something else. I wanted T-2's or T-45's but was sent to the FRS regardless. Towards the end, as kmac is well aware of, I was burnt out. Fun stuff but flying the same mission, dealing with the same problems, etc for 8.5 years took its toll. A break in between, flying something different would have been a welcome relief.