• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Why do I want this?

Ian NP

Hello Everyone, so recently I talked to a group of IWC Officers that I work closely with, and got sort of embarrassed when I didn't have an answer to "Why do you want to be an Officer?"

Truth be told, I don't know. For years it's just been a path that I feel is right. There's nothing I can come up with that technically can't be done by an NCO.

So really, what reasons are there for being an O rather than an NCO? I'm not in it to be rude/overbearing, I don't want to boss ppl around (in a negative way), I'm not in it for the Money or better treatment, etc.

What did any of you say to that question at one point? Are things like "Prestige" or "Authority" viable answers? I said that I want to put my leadership skills to use, I want to leave a lasting impression as that (more) senior leader, I want to be a positive influence on Sailors and a catalyst for good change, but any of those things can be done by NCOs too.

Thank you for any feedback. Sorry for the rather awkward question lol.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
You’re an active duty sailor. Ask a Chief (it doesn’t have to be your Chief). Ask a JO. Ask a CO or XO. Ask a peer you trust. Listen to Jocko. Detach, look around, assess, then make a decision. Good luck.