• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why did you become an NFO?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Though as of late NFOs have had a shittier selection rate to O-4, but don't worry about that.

ab1929

Do most people choose NFO because they are not medically qualified for pilot. It seems that thier civilian options in aviation would be limited or non existent as a NFO.

IRfly

None
Do most people choose NFO because they are not medically qualified for pilot. It seems that thier civilian options in aviation would be limited or non existent as a NFO.

1. Based only on anecdotal evidence, yes. Or age.

2. You're right that (fixed-wing) Navy pilots have a much more direct line to civilian cockpits. But here's the thing--if that's what you REALLY want to do, you can still get there even after being an NFO. If you're not married to the idea of being an airline pilot, then the opportunities are about the same.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Yes, NFOs are generally folks who are medically or otherwise disqualified from pilot and still want to fly grey stuff in the Navy. Yes, there are few if any direct transferances of the aviation-related skills you'll acquire in the Navy outside the service. Most folks become business people or lawyers or whatever you want really. Probably the most off-putting person I've ever "met" is an NFO turned airline pilot, so nothing is impossible.