• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why are Marines funding the least?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
"Future Herc Driver"
Nice attitude on you already buddy.
And yeah, it sure doesn't get any worse than being paid to learn how to fly. Those guys working construction or digging ditches for 9 hours a day don't know how good they have it... And those Marines fighting for their lives in Fallujah, they've got it friggin made. They're probably praying that your job gets easier for you every night as they go to sleep in some Humvee.

Future Herc Driver

About to start Tac phase in the Herc.
Need to rephrase: "working for a 'military' paycheck." Earned plenty of paychecks doing manual labor before the military. Oh, forgot, im not in the military. Just in a corporation that the DoD runs. Shoulda joined the Navy.

not really

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jesus christ
can any of you clowns stay on topic w/o every thread devolving into a pissing match of sorts. what the hell is the deal with the board lately?

/perturbed

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
And you make it so much better with your intelligent conversation. I'm a fag? How old are you?
Seriously, I come on this board every once in a while, and the quality of people on it scare me. Most comments are informative, but then theres some that I can't believe come from officers.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The Marine Corps is underfunded significantly compared to both the Army and even more so for the USAF. The reason comes down to a simple statement,"We've done so much with so little for so long, they think we can do everything with nothing forever." The Marine Corps has always accomplished its assigned tasks with the assets assigned. Why give it more? While sometimes I begrudge the fact that our leadership volunteers us for everything, at the same time I'm proud that we get it done. If that's being "hard," so be it. It's also the way everyone else should do it.

Whalebite

Crowbar said:
Speaking of funny Air Force stuff..

Our little Air Force unit or branch or whatever they are called here at school posted this on their bulletin board last year. I swear to God, I am not making this up.

"GOAL: 95% participation during mandatory unit events"

That's leadership at its finest, that during mandatory events, they don't even expect everybody there. Maybe there's a reason for that. Meanwhile, when we had our Marine Corps Birthday Ball, we had Army, Navy, and Air Force students dying to go. We welcomed them because that's just how Marines are.

I have to go myself, but not to tee off. To work on the training schedule for this semester. I don't want the students going to OCS next summer to get screwed because I was lazy.

Nice.....I want to be a Marine!

rslater

Apologies

For my first post I would like to apologize for the behavior of my fellow air force officer, Future_Herc and maybe shed my opinion on why the AF gets a good deal of funding. While the AF is pretty much full of "pretty boys", you have to understand our mission as well before any of us cast judgement. First, as most of you here know, flying aircraft is not a cheap business and we do a lot of it. However, we don't just fly planes (although that is a major force) we also have huge R&D programs that work on everything from Human Effectiveness (how people integrate with weapons/equipment) to technologies dealing with sensors (track and id). These programs are huge and require massive amounts of funding. So while we do get a lot of US monies, most of it is necessary to fund future technologies that will allow us to continue to be the world's greatest Air Force/Army/Marines/Navy.

I think this may be what Herc wanted to say but was a little too perturbed to get across (at least I hope it was).

At any rate, I work in the Labs at Wright Patterson and I agree that the Air Force is run quite like a business as far as the non-operational AF goes. But on the Operations side of the house (Pilots, Special Forces, etc) I would venture to say (even though I do not know this) it is run much the same as any other service.

Now my confessions... I am not really happy with the AF at this time because they are not giving me the opprtunity to lead (why be an officer in the military?) and being an acquisitions engineer, it doesn't look like that will happen any time soon. Anybody know about interservice transfers?

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Actually we do get a lot of hand-me-downs from the Army. I worked in supply for a couple of weeks once as enlisted and we would get these huge cardboard boxes from the local Army unit. It was my job to climb into these boxes and sift through the gear and determine what was serviceable (cammies that didn't have glue on them from patches, canteen pouches that still had 1 of 2 working snaps, magazine pouches that still had velcro even though the snaps had broken off, e-tools that could be rebuilt using pieces of other broken e-tools, etc) and what was "really" trash. Not fun and slightly humiliating.

Status
Not open for further replies.