• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whole person concept?

Fire17

From what I have been reading on this site, the OCS board only looks at college GPA and officer test scores when the applicant is attempting to be a pilot or flight officer, but with other career paths they also look at the "whole person", being volunteer work, jobs, letters of recommendation, and leadership roles, etc.

My questions is, Why don't they look at the whole person concept like the other work roles? im going to apply for Flight Officer, Intelligence Officer, and Surface Warfare Officer.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Because they want you to pass in Pensacola and ASTB and GPA are a good metric of your chances. Supply Corps School is so easy to pass the only person to ever fail is the community mascot. Hence, ASTB and GPA aren't as big a deal as the whole person.

exNavyOffRec

From what I have been reading on this site, the OCS board only looks at college GPA and officer test scores when the applicant is attempting to be a pilot or flight officer, but with other career paths they also look at the "whole person", being volunteer work, jobs, letters of recommendation, and leadership roles, etc.

My questions is, Why don't they look at the whole person concept like the other work roles? im going to apply for Flight Officer, Intelligence Officer, and Surface Warfare Officer.

Basically that is correct, however the lower GPA and ASTB the more you will need.

Intel is done, maybe for years, NFO and SWO will have minimal spots, hearing under 50 each.

Fire17

Basically that is correct, however the lower GPA and ASTB the more you will need.

Intel is done, maybe for years, NFO and SWO will have minimal spots, hearing under 50 each.

thank you,

done? I have a few years, maybe something wil open up? my goal is to become a Naval Officer any way that I can so I could always do a different job

Renegade One

None
Definitely STAY AWAY from pilot or NFO because you are exactly correct. They have no interest in you as a "whole person". They are only interested in rough sorts of individuals who are willing to do extreme VIOLENCE on their nation's behalf. And DECADES of research shows that these kind of folks never VOLUNTEER for anything, but will go into hell if ordered...or well-led by folks they trust.

They're a rare breed in a strange community with arcane, "tribal" customs and traditions bordering on the neanderthal...you have been warned.

KBayDog

Definitely STAY AWAY from pilot or NFO because you are exactly correct. They have no interest in you as a "whole person". They are only interested in rough sorts of individuals who are willing to do extreme VIOLENCE on their nation's behalf. And DECADES of research shows that these kind of folks never VOLUNTEER for anything, but will go into hell if ordered...or well-led by folks they trust.

They're a rare breed in a strange community with arcane, "tribal" customs and traditions bordering on the neanderthal...you have been warned.

Sorry, Spike, you've been out of the game for too long.

(I'd love to stay and chat, but I'm late for my Sensitivity 101 computer training course...)

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

My info is a bit dated, but I worked in the ROTC office and the Whole Person concept was looked at for everyone.
Since the Navy is a unique career, the Navy wants to know if you enjoy group activities like sports, drama, band or other club-type activities.
In addition to participating, the Navy wants to see you in a leadership position in those activities. Captain of the baseball team or Student Gov't President, etc. it shows leadership potential, organizational skills and that you can function in a group dynamic.

There are very few positions in the Navy that are not "teamwork" intensive. So the Navy likes to see those things on your application.
They are discriminators at the board. You GPA and test score are needed to get you in the door, but those extras are what may make you more attractive than the next guy/gal who has the same grades and test scores.
God luck!

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
They definitely look at the whole person for aviation. I applied for SNA with a 2.605 as a Mechanical Engineer and ASTB scores that were only slightly higher than average (6/7/7/53). To my advantage I also had a crap ton of extra-curriculars and was coming from a military school background. Without all of those two later cards in my favor, I probably would not have been selected.

exNavyOffRec

They definitely look at the whole person for aviation. I applied for SNA with a 2.605 as a Mechanical Engineer and ASTB scores that were only slightly higher than average (6/7/7/53). To my advantage I also had a crap ton of extra-curriculars and was coming from a military school background. Without all of those two later cards in my favor, I probably would not have been selected.

yes and no, the lower the GPA and ASTB the harder they look.

I have had many picked up with GPA's in the low 3's but PFAR's of 8 and 9 that all they did was go to school, no clubs, no sports, no community service.

I have also had guys with 2.8/2.9 GPA's with PFAR of 7 or 8 that had sports, community service that were picked up as well.

The above only applies to Pilot

Think of it this way, you have a orchard of various fruit trees, each variety will require different care and be ready at different times, selection for designators is the same thing, what applies to SWO may not apply to Pilot and neither may apply to Supply.

The one designator that comes out and says whole person concept is key is the CEC.

Renegade One

None
To all...yeah, I was just kidding. I understand and appreciate the very competitive nature of the process you all have to go through these days. I frankly doubt I would have gotten selected in today's environment. I guess timing (combination of unpopular war and draft...) played a large part in my early career... Y'all keep pressing!

exNavyOffRec

To all...yeah, I was just kidding. I understand and appreciate the very competitive nature of the process you all have to go through these days. I frankly doubt I would have gotten selected in today's environment. I guess timing (combination of unpopular war and draft...) played a large part in my early career... Y'all keep pressing!

I can't tell you how many officers I work with that have said the same thing, generally they are in Intel or Nuke communities.

Renegade One

None
I can't tell you how many officers I work with that have said the same thing, generally they are in Intel or Nuke communities.
Well, feel free to add at least one "VF RIO". Sadly (it's just me...), we're not making any of those anymore. Like I said: Timing is [was] everything.