• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who should I have commision me

Status
Not open for further replies.

NavyOCS

I graduate on the 14th and am in a political indecision. Do I have my OSO commision me? Its not like me and the capt. are buddy buddy. But I do have a better relationship with the Gunny.

I have known a retired USMC Col. for about a year and I think he thinks he is commisioning me. You guys that know colonels...well hes cool but kind of a straight no B.S. type. I am thinking that I should have the office do it since they are they ones that put my package in and everything. Any suggestions?

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
If you've got the option, have someone do it who means something to you. I had my dad, a retired Navy Captain, commission me. You only commission once, so make sure its someone you want. But if you're not sentimental/or it doesn't matter, then....

gyrene

Marine SNA
i don't think there is any reason why you couldn't have both your OSO and the Col there to commission you.
i had a guest senior marine commission me and another Lt. with my OSO standing right there. i think OSOs sometimes expect that as well. i don't think he's gonna be mad if you have someone else do it.
furthermore, your guest will have more interesting things to say and make the event more enjoyable.

sgtdube

USMCGRUNT
My grandfather was a General in the Army of the Philippines. Would he be allowed to give me my commision?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No has to be an active or retired Offcier in the US miitary

sgtdube

USMCGRUNT
Well I had heard that some people get there moms to pin them, i guess i was wondering if 1) there mom was/is an officer 2) if it has to be one. I know that an officer has to read your warrant, but I mean the actual pinning...

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pinning on is different than administering the oath. Anyone can pin your bars on but to give you the oath takes an officer as mentioned above

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
sgtdube said:
Well I had heard that some people get there moms to pin them, i guess i was wondering if 1) there mom was/is an officer 2) if it has to be one. I know that an officer has to read your warrant, but I mean the actual pinning...

My Mom pinned my Ensign bars on .... and a Navy Captain had us raise our right hand(s) and administered the Oath .... but I checked with the admin officer @ my old NROTC unit and here's the deal, according to them (and they do this stuff all the time):

It doesn't matter who "administers" the Oath -- you can be very creative .... it only matters who signs the "official" paperwork. The paperwork has to be signed by a designated, commissioned officer. There are some very original and creative options regarding "who" can administer the oath and pin on the bars. You can probably work out any option you want, within reason. :)

Does that help???

grad5pa.jpg
navy011xx.jpg
web040520n7586b3986gh.jpg
oath31jn.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.